Author Topic: MD won't play audio from read-only NAS share  (Read 2808 times)

TonyBryan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
MD won't play audio from read-only NAS share
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:36:42 pm »
Hi... I'm finding that my LinucMCE hybrid won't play any audio tracs from a NAS share that is read only.

Detail:
I'm about 80% through ripping my entire collection of CDs to .flac and storing them on a NAS drive.  I  have successfully added the NAS share to my LinuxMCE core, and tested playing back tracks to the MD.

Then I noticed some weired track names, which turned out to be rips with umlauts etc that the encoding didn't like.  Although I have lovingly ripped all my tracks accurately, I now found LinuxMCE was changing all the filenames with strange characters, truncating them (so "Röyksopp" became just "R").  As a short-term workaround until I fixed the encoding problem (assuming it can be fixed) I changed the LinuxMCE access to the NAS drive to read-only to prevent it overwriting filenames.  Unfortunately it now doesn't play any tracks at all.

Has anyone seek this behaviour?  Any solutions?

I'm going to try this thread to fix the encoding issue when I get home:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6950.0

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: MD won't play audio from read-only NAS share
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »
Check out this thread: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10172.0

The changes to updatemedia may fix your issues.  I don't think this is in the current builds, I believe it is still in testing.

J.

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:02:20 pm »
I have a NAS server running for all my files. If I place a new media (audio or video) file on it I have to change the rights to read, write and execute (777). If I don't do this the file just won't play. I don't mind giving full rights to the files cause I'm the only one accessing them. Maybe you can try to change the rights of the file to read and execute. I haven't tried this myself but it might work. I don't know what's the reason but if a file is read-only LMCE won't play it. At least that's my experience.

Grts

Thingie

TonyBryan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »
Oh my God... apologies to all!  Complete user error.  I'd been using some software from a laptop to reorganise my music collection folder structure, and hadn't refreshed the database.  No wonder it couldn't find the files.  Resynched the media, and whaddyaknow.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I still have the problem with foreign characters not being picked up properly, but most of my music plays.  The NAS drive is still read-only for LMCE, and working fine.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:19:42 pm »
Check the thread I mentioned above for your foreign character issues.

J.