you may be able to edit /etc/pluto.conf and set AutoStartMedia to 0. not sure if that will prevent the avwizard from running though.
That seems to have done it. When I rebooted, it seemed to generate a lot of stuff on the command line on boot (I think it was finishing whatever scripts it needed). During this time, een though SSH was indicated as started, I couldn't connect, even after it was all done.
I logged in on the console, opened /etc/pluto.conf and noticed some new entries:
FirstBoot = false
AVWizardDone = 1
DesktopActivated = 1
or at least I think they were new; I didn't remember them being there, but I could very well be wrong. I set "AutoStartMedia" back to "1" then rebooted. No AVWizard; just generating the orbiters, then when done, the onscreen orbiter showed up.
I will likely go through the "Clean Core" wiki entry and see if I can reduce its resource footprint, and also make it run at runlevel 3, etc., but so far I am happy.
I am having a problem with the web orbiter I created afterwards, but I will post another thread on that.