Author Topic: Marvell gigabyte ethernet not recognized  (Read 3459 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Marvell gigabyte ethernet not recognized
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:59:38 pm »
Hello.

It looks like the Marvell gigabyte chips are not recognized (not in the kernel) which is unfortunate as they are used in many notebooks and ethernet cards in the last 2-3 years.

I'm trying to use my notebook as a test  'media director'  but it aborts at the eth0: not recognized stage...bummer

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 10:55:28 pm »
Replying to myself.

It uses the sky2 driver

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:11:17 pm »
Strange, the sky2 module is located in the initramfs of the media directors (release 41 at least) and is manually modprobed by the initscript from there.
If you card works with the sky2 module from 2.6.16.20, then it should also work with pluto.

At what stage do you get the error ? Does the detection of the laptop works (first network boot) and fail after trying to boot as an MD (starting from second network boot), or it fails starting the first time ?

If it fail at the first network boot, try using this howto: http://plutohome.com/wiki/index.php/Generic_PC to get it recognized by pluto then try to boot it again.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:18:57 pm »
My Gateway MX7515 notebook (Marvell chipset sky2 driver) doesn't get past init 2 unfortuantely Sad