Author Topic: 810 Trouble adding drives to RAID  (Read 600 times)

amirdt22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
810 Trouble adding drives to RAID
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:30:28 am »
Greetings,

  Short version: when I click "Add drive" the browser disappears and there are messages stating "Starting Media Director Devices", "Installing mythtv-plugin....", etc.  Update: Eventually the screen goes black with a white mouse.

  Detailed version:
  I physically added 3 drives to my core (hybrid).  On boot they are seen and I try to do the RAID setup.  On the hybrid I go to the browser and click "Admin Website" from the bookmarks.  I navigate to Advanced -> Configuration -> RAID (I think).  Then I go select the RAID previously set up and try to add a drive.  I added two drives, each time the screen goes black as describe above - browser disappears, and it tries to install things and start media directors (I only have one hybrid)

  Normally when I start the browser, there is a bar at the bottom, it has the "home" button, a keyboard button, and a power button.  After the installation messages appear this bar remains until I switch consoles away from then back to console 7.

1) I would like to access the Admin Website from another computer on my network, I'll start a new post for this question and link it here.

2) How do I get back to the "Home Screen"?  I am calling "Home Screen" the one that is the main UI screen (you are dropped here after rebooting the hybrid), it has the buttons on the left for lighting, and other buttons for power, desktop, etc (is that it's name?). 

3) What logs are useful in troubleshooting?  I know about console 8 and can log in and look at `top` but expect there may be logs somewhere.

amirdt22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: 810 Trouble adding drives to RAID
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:28 am »
Additional information, I am running 8.10 but I may not know exactly which version, before attempting all of this I followed the instructions here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810#Keeping_Up-to-date_with_updates

to update my system.  So, I suspect that means I am running one of the more recent beta versions.

/etc/issue just reports 8.10

So,

4) How do I determine the exact version I am running (if that is significant)?

Thanks all,
Amir

amirdt22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: 810 Trouble adding drives to RAID
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:51:17 am »
I'm trying the fix in http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9513.0

Which includes "apt-get dist-upgrade", however the 810 installation page on the wiki warns against dist-upgrade...?

amirdt22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: 810 Trouble adding drives to RAID
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:18:39 am »
> 1) I would like to access the Admin Website from another computer on my network, I'll start a new post for this question and link it here

I figured this out, going to the "Web Admin" from the core, then visiting Advanced -> Firewall Rules:
* delete 80 to 0 rule
* add 80 to 80 rule

I had previously navigated to Security -> Outside Access and enabled that but suspect it is for "outside" as in "remote" access.

amirdt22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: 810 Trouble adding drives to RAID
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:44:27 am »
Something is seriously wrong with my install, the load goes up to 25 and the mythtv installation loop continues.  Eventually there are broadcast messages stating that seemingly random processes are going to be killed:

"Out of memory: kill process 1138 (mysqld) score 32202 or a child"
"Killed process 1138"

 Spawn_DCErouter, mediatomb, DCErouter shared the same fate but kept coming back for more.

The strange thing is that the system wasn't out of memory:
top - 02:42:47 up 53 min,  4 users,  load average: 9.95, 13.16, 12.37
Tasks: 166 total,   1 running, 165 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.4%us,  2.6%sy,  0.0%ni, 28.7%id, 64.9%wa,  0.2%hi,  3.2%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   3101368k total,  1298088k used,  1803280k free,   717108k buffers
Swap:  3903784k total,        0k used,  3903784k free,   140192k cached


I'm going to try a fresh install.