Author Topic: SOLVED: no "MythTV Setup" option in Computing on Oribter  (Read 5717 times)

sonicwind

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
SOLVED: no "MythTV Setup" option in Computing on Oribter
« on: March 12, 2010, 03:46:44 am »
I'm following the instructions here: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/MythTV and on the 4rth bulletpoint into the instructions it says "For each Media Director, select the 'Computing' button on either the Orbiter". But none of my orbiters have that option. I installed MythTV in the wizard, so should it not be there? Should I do some kind of reinstall? What else could be wrong or should I do. I searched and couldn't find this particular problem with anyone with 8.10, and seemed to see other people having the item  on their 8.10 setups.

Edit: I went back through the PVR selection in the setup wizard and selected MythTV again. Nothing happened. Still nothing on the Computing menu.

Thanks for help.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:44:03 pm by sonicwind »
LinuxMCE 8.10 - Intel E7500 -  Intel BOXDP43TF - GeForce GT240 - HDHomeRun - iPhone - luser
::Use a VGA port for first configuration:: ::Setup your network from the get-go::

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: no "MythTV Setup" option in Computing on Oribter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:11:35 am »
You should verify that you have the Avenard repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
Code: [Select]
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos/ intrepid  release

If you don't have it...add it.

Then install the mythtv package and the plugin.
Code: [Select]
apt-get install mythtv
apt-get install pluto-mythtv-plugin

sonicwind

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 05:44:40 am »
Thanks. I followed your instructions. The plugin basically just said it was already installed. I reloaded the Router and regenerated all the Orbiters. Still nothing shows up in Computing as installed, and if I try to watch TV I get the message "MythTV has no capture cards defined. Please run the mythtv-setup program.", which I think is the program that is actually supposed to be in the Computing list of installed programs. I'm wondering if I just uninstalled and reinstalled the plug in if that work work. Don't really know how to do that, but I'm looking into it.

Edit: I did remove it, regenned the Oribiters, still nothing in Computing.

Edit Edit: OK, went into Wizard->Devices->Media Directors then Computing Application->Edit, checked off the MythTV setup item. Shows up as "/bin/bash" in the Installed Programs list. I shall now click on it and see what happens.

Edit Edit: So now the MythTV-setup from Computing loads the MythTV setup, I did the best i could with the directions I could find and filled out stuff (Mostly just adding the 2 cards), and left other stuff as it was. Now when I go into the Orbiter and click TV it says "I cannot play this media. Perhaps there is not a valid device in this entertainment area capable of playing it." Which is a very polite way of saying, "hey dummy, you don't know what you're doing, ha ha ha" Well, politeness counts for something.

So question, am I really supposed to be having to set all this stuff up, or was the Wizard system of LinuxMCE supposed to do most of this, but somehow I got off track?

something's off. Not sure what. I'm going to try to uninstall all of MythTV and remove all the LMCE configuration (a least what is possible remove from the UIs)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:15:31 am by sonicwind »
LinuxMCE 8.10 - Intel E7500 -  Intel BOXDP43TF - GeForce GT240 - HDHomeRun - iPhone - luser
::Use a VGA port for first configuration:: ::Setup your network from the get-go::

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:29:39 pm »
So question, am I really supposed to be having to set all this stuff up, or was the Wizard system of LinuxMCE supposed to do most of this, but somehow I got off track?

I'm at pretty much the exact same place as you. Which version are you using? I am using the 3/8/10 snapshot. Did your install go well? Mine stopped at "setting up alsa-modules-2.6.27.17-generic". I exited the installer, rebooted and was able to do the A/V setup and then the setup wizard with Anna. I didn't have my tuner card in the hybrid during the initial install (Hauppaugue 2250). I added it later so that it wouldn't cause any additional confusion during the install. Through advice on the forum I ran the same setup avenard/MythTV. After that I was still unable to see my capture card in MythTV backend setup. I then upgraded the firware on my 2250 and was able to add the card. I went into the IRC and I was told that I may have broken something by upgrading the firmware. They had me remove the card from MythTV backend setup and from the LMCE Webadmin. I was told that LMCE should find the card and add it. I left the computer on for hours and rebooted a number of times and still no card. My understanding is that the system should find the card and add it and that we are not supposed to manually add it to the MythTV backend setup. However, I'm a newbie too so I'm still trying to figure everything out

sonicwind

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:43:37 pm »
Sorry, I should have posted this at 3am last night when I "figured" it out. Ok, maybe I shouldn't have. Here is the solution: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9513.0

But your problem sounds different from mine. Hardware wise, my install has been flawless so far. A minor miracle? I spent pretty much of 2 days researching, second guessing and reconfiguring my parts orders to make sure Ubuntu would install and support all my hardware. I still have one item I haven't used, the serial port. The HDHomeRun cards are connected via ethernet. They were detected and installed the moment I got my network properly connected.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:49:22 pm by sonicwind »