I don't want to hijack this thread,
but basically, we have hit huge walls with the system as it stands right now in terms of:
(1) User Experience. Orbiter's UI is a dead end in terms of functionality, targetability to more capable platforms, and ease of UI design. Replace with a Clutter based Orbiter.
(2) providing a standardized hardware reference platform that can easily be communicated to community enthusiast users and commercial vendors alike. Provide a reference platform based on Atom, ARM, and ION to start.
(3) we still have blocks of code that are bound to license by a company that for all intents and purposes no longer exists. Replace these with GPL'd code conforming to the same API.
(4) Making it so interested community members can make orbiters for new and up and coming devices easily. Fix or replace sqlCVS
(5) TRYING TO USE AND PUSH AS MUCH UPSTREAM CODE AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN GENERAL DEVELOPER GOOD SPIRITS AND SANITY. Provide a standardized base that is supported by a much larger community than ours, with a focus on building low power and specialized consumer devices. This is MeeGo.
and many other points which have been boiling up over the last two years...
This in and of itself dictates that we move to a platform that makes most of this possible for the target devices we wish to push, which are the hordes of consumer devices coming out NOW and in the immediate future. This means moving to MeeGo, a standardized platform DESIGNED for this purpose, and furthermore, one that is backed by the Linux Foundation! WIN WIN for everyone!
THIS WILL HAPPEN ITERATIVELY.
THIS WILL MEAN that we will look up one day, and see that LinuxMCE is something very different, and yet, much the same.
To directly answer your question, no, this was all important research, but davegravy, please please PLEASE understand, TECHNOLOGY DOES NOT EXIST IN A VACUUM. _THINGS CHANGE_ and when there are huge earth shaking announcements such as the MERGING OF THE TWO BIGGEST EMBEDDED JUGGERNAUT PLATFORMS IN THE LINUX WORLD TO PROVIDE A SUPERPLATFORM THAT WOULD SOLVE THE ISSUES MENTIONED ABOVE...yes...we need to change direction.
come on man, THINK IT THROUGH. This is the right thing to do.
I know this might piss a bunch of people off, please trust me here, this makes sense if you think it completely through. If you want to talk about this, let's push this to another thread, but I will not be doing any work on this until AFTER the soon 0810 release.