Author Topic: Crystalfontz vfd/lcd, how do I install it??  (Read 2139 times)

TinkerMan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Crystalfontz vfd/lcd, how do I install it??
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:44 am »
From what I have been able to find on the wiki and the forums it seems that Crystalfonts vfd/lcd are supported by LinuxMCE but I can't find a howto for installing it.  The closest thing I could find is the howto for the MSI Media Live Barebone under hardware in the wiki.  I was able to follow that to the point of having to enter something in the 'command line' field of the device template and yes I did use the 'Crystal Fontz USB/RS232 #1722' device template.  

Just a little FYI, before I added the device template I plugged the vfd in with usb and it was not recognized and also rebooted and it still was not recognized so then I followed the MSI lcd wiki to the point of the 'command line' then saved template settings and rebooted and nothing on the vfd sceen besides the flashing cursor. I noticed when the launch manager was starting things it hung a while on the Crystal Fontz device. I then checked the launch manager log file and this is what I found,

Code: [Select]
tail /var/log/pluto/LaunchManager.log

Not starting device 61 Crystal Fontz USB/RS232 - binary is not found, probably it is in the middle of installation

I then thought maybe the binary that was not found was supported by the lcdproc package so I installed that then restarted but made no difference so now I stuck.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:43:34 am by TinkerMan »

TinkerMan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Crystalfontz vfd/lcd, how do I install it??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:52:48 am »
I'm going to bump this a bit

It has been a little over a year since I posted this and I didn't want to be a pest because I knew you guys were working hard on the 810 release.  I have recently upgraded to the 810 release and I still have the exact same problem as before.