Author Topic: Will WiFi as Second NIC Work? (see 2nd post)  (Read 2990 times)

armyabn

• View Profile
Will WiFi as Second NIC Work? (see 2nd post)
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:29:58 pm »
I followed the wiki installations instructions for 8.10beta exactly.  Everything came up as it should...went through AV settings....but when it went to reboot (and every power off and reboot after that), it goes through the bootup process, says "Loading LinuxMCE" or something like that....goes through loading the orbiter files.....then I get a black screen.  I can see the mouse arrow and can move it, but NOTHING comes up on the screen after that....looks frozen to me....

any thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:45:38 pm by armyabn »

armyabn

• View Profile
Re: Frozen Screen After Install
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:35:50 pm »
I think I may have found the problem (should have searched the forum better for the answer)...but now I have a new question....

I only have one NIC (that seems to be the problem with others in similar situation)....

1.  Can I use a wireless USB adaptor as NIC 2?
2.  If yes, do I need to do a clean install, or is there a way for the system to recognize it?

Thanks!

armyabn

• View Profile
Re: Will WiFi as Second NIC Work? (see 2nd post)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:46:36 pm »
(modified post above)

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18:03 pm »
Please read the entire FAQ:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

Using wireless links on a network meant to distribute media, which has high bandwidth requirements, automation commands, which have high reliability requirements, and diskless boot images, which have reliability and bandwidth requirements, is a pretty bad idea.  You will see this response to every person who has asked about using a wireless link on the network - whether it be a bridge, the Core's primary NIC or the Core's internal NIC.  The only devices that will support a wireless link are the Orbiters.

You are, of course, more than welcome to try whatever you like, but I would suggest you go for the wires to save frustration and time.

A single NIC setup is an unsupported configuration.  There is a document that describes how to migrate to a 2 NIC setup, though it is probably out of date, so you may have to do some of your own research and trials.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Single_to_Double_NIC

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 03:43:59 pm »
A second network card is also a VERY cheap upgrade, consider doing it as you will have a much better overall experience.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 06:21:29 pm »
I have this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180026

in my core, it cost $7.99 and is gigabit.  Very Cheap!