Author Topic: Upgrade nightmare - second time in a row  (Read 4890 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Upgrade nightmare - second time in a row
« on: October 28, 2006, 11:51:38 am »
Hi all

I was awaiting .41 update because I was convinced that a properly done upgrade could have revamped my system after a not so happy upgrade from .39 to .40.

Unfortunately things went in a very different way, and now I find myself again with a totally not working system.

Here a brief history.

After .41 announcement I waited a couple of days to be sure that all replacement were properly downloaded.
Yesterday night I rebooted hybrid to let update to take place, but with my great disappointment system started to cycle (reboot, and reboot ....).

So I booted in recovery mode and tried to apt-get upgrade manually, and it turned out that linphone-common was having a problem (problem when overwriting a wav file that was also contained in pluto-linphone).

I removed pluto-linphone, then apt-get upgrade made its course, then the system rebooted properly (no cycling), but now my hybrid is not showing any UI (it is showing a rubbish screen that make me think that video init is not good)

Moreover MDs are not booting over network and this make me think that system is locking in a strange state, even if I still can ssh to hybrid and plutoadmin site is working fine.

I did not dig into logs too much, as I'm afraid that it would take too long (considering my not-so-high knowledge of linux) and my actual concern is to have my system back ASAP.

I think that I will go for a fresh install (preserving media an possibly logs) but I think that this situation may be interesting to investigate.
I think that all Pluto guys will agree on the fact that a system cannot get scr**ed on every upgrade, isn't it ? :wink:

Actually my hardware is not "second choice", my hybrid has an AMD Athlon 3200, 2 GbRam, nVidia integrated video card, 2 X 200 SATA drives, so these failures cannot be charged to insufficient "horse power" or similar.

As I said I will preserve logs. If anyone at Pluto is interested to help me to figure out what the hell happened I will gladly support them.

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:18:27 pm »
Hi,

I also had all kind of weird problems on my previous old installation (number was 206)....

Even so weird like pppoe crashing, that noone else experienced...

Then went on fresh install and now it works quite ok again... Except few problems with motion, asterisk etc....

I agree that upgrades are quite risky, but there is no other way...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:21:04 pm »
Hi,

I also had all kind of weird problems on my previous old installation (number was 206)....

Even so weird like pppoe crashing, that noone else experienced...

Then went on fresh install and now it works quite ok again... Except few problems with motion, asterisk etc....

I agree that upgrades are quite risky, but there is no other way...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:08:53 pm »
Thanks Rob for reply

Just a note to better explain my thoughts about upgrades.

They are of course risky, and we all are aware of that and have to accept when things go wrong.

In past upgrades I experienced several issues, that in the end were minor issues that could be solved with a bit of patience and that never forced me to start from scratch.

Last two updates set a totally new course. I still didn't realized whether I have been terribly lucky with past upgrades or if actually with .40 and .41 there are some significant issues that may be worth a closer look.

I'm just reporting this because I think it can be useful for further Pluto improvement.

Now let's go with some pratical questions.
While writing this post I've just realized that rebuilding my system I lost some 15 GB of valuable data stored in a disk that I thought kick start would never touch.
Data where stored on a separate disk that was mounted into /local. Most probably I forgot to remove the proper line from fstab so kick start considered it as one of its properties and erased/reformatted it

At this point the question is:

can anyone can me a hint about recovering files?

TIA
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:11:04 pm »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
Thanks Rob for reply

Just a note to better explain my thoughts about upgrades.

They are of course risky, and we all are aware of that and have to accept when things go wrong.

In past upgrades I experienced several issues, that in the end were minor issues that could be solved with a bit of patience and that never forced me to start from scratch.

Last two updates set a totally new course. I still didn't realized whether I have been terribly lucky with past upgrades or if actually with .40 and .41 there are some significant issues that may be worth a closer look.

I'm just reporting this because I think it can be useful for further Pluto improvement.

Hi,

FYI: I have same experience. Last two updates got me into a lot of trouble (mainly those who helped me :-) ). So I went with fresh install of 0.40 , but have also problems on 0.41 upgrade....

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 12:55:04 pm »
MarcoZan in order to help you we need you to enable remote acces on your system and to give us the number of the installation and the password.
Please send a  pm with your ym or skype.Thank you.