Author Topic: LG LCD Template  (Read 55520 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: LG LCD Template
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2011, 11:28:18 pm »
Hi Tomas,

Glad you got it working. Lots of people have helped with this functionality, tkmedia created the original template, others have added their input in this thread and mercur2k improved and submitted the final template.

I know in recent builds the pnp doesn't work and I think manually adding it is the current solution. Did you use a recent build?

Personally I don't use or recommend raid any more. I've lost lots of data using it in the past. I just use a primary drive and back up to a secondary drive. I also backup my stable lmce using ping.

Barney

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2011, 03:44:26 am »
Hi Barney,

Sorry for the delay,  I did used a recent build.  When you mean RAID is any kind (sw or hw), is it easy to setup a secondary disk as a backup?.   I always thought that sw raid was a good option because it is not hw dependent.  
At least that's what i read.   Any suggestions?. I agree that backup is always required, is it easy to setup PING?.

Thanks for your help

Cheers,

Tomas

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2011, 11:28:21 pm »
Hi Tomas,

Off topic but ....

I used software raid for a while and lost everything upgrading to 0810. I have a 1TB drive as my primary storage and I have a second 1TB drive which I told lmce to ignore. I copy the storage to the backup regularly using:
Code: [Select]
cp -u
The -u option only copies new files.

PING runs from a boot CD and can copy your lmce partition to this second HDD (or a network drive).

Hope this helps.
Barney

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2011, 03:08:47 am »
Hi Barney, thanks for the info and sorry for the off topic, it wasnt my intention.

I'm having a problem now that I don't understand, the settings for the LG template are not permanent.  Everytime I reboot the MD or quick reload, the configurations of the serial port, and unchecked "Disable" option under advance  are lost.  Any ideas?
Apparently PNP is messing things up

Cheers,

TP.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:59 pm »
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2011, 04:38:10 am »
Hi Purps,

Any hints on solving the problem?

Cheers,

T

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2011, 11:02:14 am »
Plugged my TV in again last night, and it wasn't even detected unfortunately. I believe it can be added manually, but I don't know how to do that. I assume it's in "A/V Equipment" in web admin, but I don't know what parameters are needed.

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2011, 10:01:09 pm »
I added it manually by selecting advanced -> configuration -> devices.
Selecting my MD.
Then create  child device.
Pick the 2126 template.

I then filled in the "COM port on PC" data, it has a drop down box and in my case it only has one value.

Seems to work, though it looks like not all volume change commands are processed or some are processed double.
Also, I cannot seem to find the On and Off commands.

I had some problems in getting my USB to serial port adapter working. When rebooting it doesn't work.
I then use minicom to talk to my TV, once that works I quit minicom and restart the router.
The device then does works (with the caveats described above).
So I need to figure out a way to put the com port settings that are done by minicom in some config file somewhere.
Anyway, that's a problem with my hardware, not with the TV template.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2011, 07:40:59 pm »
Easy as that! Thanks mate.

Lights have gone haywire as mentioned in another thread http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=11479.15, but apart from that, this LG TV control is absolutely superb. Have already added scenarios for the Wii and Mega Drive :)

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:29:50 pm by purps »

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »
You're welcome.

I'm still playing around a bit. Although the On/Off command is not visible in the webadmin when I select "Send a command to device", after running the setup wizard on the MD, my orbiter is capable of turning the TV on and off.
I can then also use the volume commands to control my TV. So that works nicely.

I'm still having a bit of trouble to get the thing working right after a reboot though. Last time the On/Off command worked, but the volume commands didn't. I think that means the com port is now OK after a reboot.
I played a bit with minicom and noticed the volume commands got an error; turned out that the TV thought it was muted and then volume commands give an error. After unmuting it via minicom and resetting the device it started working again.
Maybe I should add an unmute command to the template before a volume change. I'm not sure how the TV got muted (or if it really was; forgot tot test), but there is only one bit difference between the command to turn the TV on and to mute it. So maybe it's just my connection.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2011, 05:27:43 pm »
power control for audio/video devices happens automatically, that is why there are not specific on/off commands in orbiter. start a scenario that uses it and the tv will just turn on. let it idle for a few minutes (15 by default i believe) and it will turn off. It would be fairly easy to send an unmute with power on, but i think youre right that it was probably just your serial port since i have not encountered this problem (although i use an audio receiver for volume control). I also have noticed a problem with volume commands being doubled, but thats not something thats happening in the template, its somewhere deeper.

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2011, 04:45:32 pm »
It's been a while, but I finally found the reason why my volume commands sometimes work and sometimes not;
If the TV is already on while the MD starts, the volume works. If the TV is off while the MD starts the volume commands do not work (but everything else does).

I checked the ruby code in the template. During intialization, in the InitVolume function, it does something clever. It tries to retrieve the current volume from the TV, even turning the TV on and off again if necessary.
My guess is that my TV (an 26LV5500) doesn't like that, gets into some strange internal state, and no longer responds to volume commands after it has been quickly turned on and off again.

I placed the line "@volume = 10" at the start of the InitVolume function. That way the function assumes the volume has been retrieved successfully, and doesn't send any commands to the TV. This works, but I'll see if I can find out which part of the InitVolume function is actually causing the problem.

For now it looks like a problem with my TV's software, not with the template.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2011, 03:13:27 pm »
My speakers are connected directly to the MD, so have not noticed this specifically, however I have noticed that when I switch over to the Wii or Mega Drive (so sound comes through the  TV) sometimes the volume doesn't work - pressing the buttons causes the volume to display, it just doesn't change.

A reload fixes the problem. Perhaps this is the same issue?

Cheers,
Matt.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2011, 10:28:16 pm »
I occasionally have this problem. I think the ruby codes don't allow quite enough time for the TV to start when in standby. This means when the script queries the LG for the current volume there is no response so the LG is disabled.

You could try and extend this time.
Barney

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:52 pm »
I occasionally have this problem. I think the ruby codes don't allow quite enough time for the TV to start when in standby. This means when the script queries the LG for the current volume there is no response so the LG is disabled.

You could try and extend this time.
Barney

OK. If your theory is correct, does that mean one shouldn't see this problem if the TV is already on when LMCE switches channel?

Cheers,
Matt.