Author Topic: reinstall Q  (Read 8798 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
reinstall Q
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:31:42 pm »
After doing the DVD install which isn't working out, is it possible to just run the linuxmce install again or uninstall all the linuxmce stuff then run the linuxmce install?  Or is my only realistic option to boot from the DVD, format the drive, and install completely from scratch?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: reinstall Q
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:11:43 pm »
After doing the DVD install which isn't working out, is it possible to just run the linuxmce install again or uninstall all the linuxmce stuff then run the linuxmce install?  Or is my only realistic option to boot from the DVD, format the drive, and install completely from scratch?

I would fully reinstall. Try the snapshots: http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:42:21 pm »
Thanks for the link to the DVD snapshots - I didn't know they existed.

I'd really rather not do a full install only because my LinuxMCE core server also acts as my personal DNS and e-mail server (just got those going again).  Unfortunately nobody seems to have an answer to my auto-generated scenario problem and now my MD will not boot.  Unless someone can point me in the right direction to at least attempt a linuxmce reinstall on the existing setup I'll give the feb 23 snapshot a try.

edit:  can I assume I follow the same steps as the beta 2 install DVD?
boot from dvd, install linuxmce
apt-get update/apt-get dist-upgrage
double-click linuxmce on the desktop
etc.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:47:06 pm by skeptic »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:22 pm »
Thanks for the link to the DVD snapshots - I didn't know they existed.

I'd really rather not do a full install only because my LinuxMCE core server also acts as my personal DNS and e-mail server (just got those going again).  Unfortunately nobody seems to have an answer to my auto-generated scenario problem and now my MD will not boot.  Unless someone can point me in the right direction to at least attempt a linuxmce reinstall on the existing setup I'll give the feb 23 snapshot a try.

if the scenarios don't apear, I would re-run just the setup wizard.
edit:  can I assume I follow the same steps as the beta 2 install DVD?
boot from dvd, install linuxmce
apt-get update/apt-get dist-upgrage
double-click linuxmce on the desktop
etc.

The last couple of times I used the snapshot DVDs without doing the apt-get update && upgrade step. That step is done by the installer anyhow.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:06:31 pm »

if the scenarios don't apear, I would re-run just the setup wizard.
The media setup wizard that ends with Sara claiming she created scenarios for me?  Tried that.
The last couple of times I used the snapshot DVDs without doing the apt-get update && upgrade step. That step is done by the installer anyhow.
Which one is done by the installer, the apt-get update/apt-get dist-upgrade the instructions say to do before installing linuxmce, or the apt-get update/apt-get upgrade done after linuxmce is installed?  I know the docs say not to run dist-upgrade after linuxmce has been installed, but I thought it needs to be done between the kubuntu and linuxmce installs.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:10:55 pm »
Let me try to quantify my response:

I did the last 10 (at least) installs by plugging the DVD into the drive, choosing Install LinuxMCE, let the Kubuntu Install do its job, reboot, logged in, Double clicked the LinuxMCE icon, entered my password, and let the install take its course. (and ignore one message regarding kdesudo not found or something)

Another reboot, and some waiting time, brought me to the AV Wizard, followed by some more crunching and waiting, and ending up with Sarah. After going thru Sarah, the Orbiter came up, without any further booting, and without ever hitting the command line.

I needed to add the medibuntu later on to add libdvdcss2, but that is more nuisance to make the lawyers happy.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:44 pm »
Thanks for clarifying.  With the wife and kids, no media, no internet while re-installing doesn't make me popular.  I'll give a fresh install from a snapshot image a try tonight.  Worst case I put my 710 HD back in and wait until the next beta is out.  I just really want some of the enhancements/fixes in 810 so I'm being impatient.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:39:12 am »
Quick update in case anyone else runs into this and finds this thread.  The snapshot I downloaded and burned did not boot fully so I decided to give it another go with the beta 2 dvd.  Things I did different this install:

I turned off my HDHomeRun, my external USB drives, and took out my PVR-150 card.  I remember the initial wizard was interrupted a number of times when it found new hardware. 

I did NOT do apt-get update/apt-get dist-upgrade after the initial kubuntu install. 

After selecting MythTV as my PVR I let it run through the full myth install before going to the media wizard.

With no devices attached I just clicked "next" on all options to get a bare install.

At this point I seem to have all the expected scenarios, so as long as I can get Myth and my devices going I should be set.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:15:20 pm »
[..]The snapshot I downloaded and burned did not boot fully so I decided to[..]

Try burning with a slower speed. I did an install with that snapshot without any booting problem.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:17:01 pm »
Hmm... I usually don't have burning issues, but if I need to re-install from scratch again I'll try that.

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 04:33:04 am »
posde,
I just burned "LinuxMCE-8.10-22812-i386.iso" using "ImgBurn" on 4x, I followed your instruction, and when I double click "LinuxMCE" on KDE desktop, and entered my password, it started the installation and got stuck at the following:

Code: [Select]
DKMS: add Completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.27-17-generic......
Any ideas ???
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 03:35:59 pm »
I have seen this before. It is not nice, but your install completed except the v4l2-modules step.

You should be able to restart, the AV Wizard should come up, as well as the Setup wizard with Sarah.

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 05:56:08 pm »
Thanks, you're right I rebooted and the AV Wizard came up, as well the Setup wizard with Sarah.
What does the "v4l2-modules" do ?
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:22 pm »
The provide support for various tv tuner cards. You can install them after the install with
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install v4l2-modules v4l2-firmware

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 06:17:42 pm »
Thanks, that fixed couple errors when the system was coming up.
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,