Author Topic: squeezeslave install  (Read 13089 times)

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
squeezeslave install
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:04:20 am »
Hello,

Trying to install squeezeslave to my core to see if i can use it to play audio over my intercom speakers around the house (not connected to any md), just for mood music, party, Christmas, you name it. (i can feed sound into the intercom through an aux connection)

Went to the wiki, but it's an outdated one for the older version.

Can anybody explain how to install this on the core. I'm trying it myself, but if somebody already figured it out, please chime in.

Looking for the exact install instructions.

Problems i see now are:

naming is different, currently the file is not called squeezeslave but squeezeslave-lnx26 (this should be no biggie, but the name has to be the same for the script and the file itself looking in the script and how it calling stuff)

default-rd.d: command not found (looking for what this does and what the new command is)

Thanks in advance,

Richard

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: squeezeslave install
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:19:17 am »
Ok stepped in the irc windows and figured it out.

New command for auto start is update-rc.d in ubuntu

I will test this and report back/update wiki for future use,

Richard

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 06:32:18 am »
i cannot get a connection to the server going, it's looking for the wrong ip. i restarted the install. These are the steps i took....

svn checkout http://squeezeslave.googlecode.com/svn/squeezeslave/trunk/squeezeslave
cd squeezeslave
make -f makefile.linux26-alsa realclean
make -f makefile.linux26-alsa

(this should have made a squeezeslave file in the bin directory

copy this bin to your /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin or anything in your path

create file /etc/init.d/squeezeslave   (copy script of the wiki in this file)
chmod -x /etc/init.d/squeezeslave   (to make it executable)

in /etc/rc.local add /usr/bin/squeezeslave -m00:00:00:00:00:01 -o0 -r
(where -m is the MAC you can define for one of the squeezebox players, -o is the device to be used, -r is retry to connect to server) Default server location is 127.0.0.1)
I also tried to make this /usr/bin/squeezeslave -m00:00:00:00:00:01 -o0 -r 192.168.80.1 but keep getting error connecting to a different ip

ran following commands

update-rc.d squeezeslave defaults 50
/etc/init.d/squeezeslave start

Get the following error:

Code: [Select]
Error connecting to 24.28.193.9:3483
Connection to SqueezeCenter start failed.

Now i can't figure out why it's trying to connect to 24.28.193.9:3483, but that is definitely not the squeezecenter. As a matter of fact, i have no clue where that number came from.

Anybody any clues?

my current script setup looks like this

NAME=squeezeslave
DAEMON=/usr/bin/$NAME
DAEMON_ARGS="-o 0 -m 00:04:20:00:00:01 -r -s 192.168.80.1"

Thanks,

Richard

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:53:01 pm »
Hi,

I'm not sure if related, but if I remember right, newer versions of squeezeslave don't support older protocol for connection with squeezecenter.
I'm running squeezeslave 0.8-25.

If there are any recent changes on this one, would be happy to update my setup too...

I also have a strange problem of slight hiccups happening every 4-5 secs and they seem related to CPU load...

Beside that , such solution is really helpful, I'm using it for second house channel that goes to second audio zone on Marantz SR56000.

The last problem I'm experiencing is also that squeezeslave crashes on mono wav files (speech announcements are like that) and I could't get configuration for on demand transcoding to stereo file on Squeezecenter working...

HTH,

I'm looking forward on discussion,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:44:22 pm »
Bulek, thanks for replying,

I really like the concept and just trying to prove it myself in my setup.

0.9-95 is out with several upgrades.

I will try 0.8-25 first, just to see if it works, after that i will upgrade squeezecenter to the latest and try 0.9-95 again to see what the differences are.

Maybe the crashes with mono files will be fixed too.

I'll report back as soon as i got it working, there might be some questions on the way though.

This might take a week or so, going to key west this coming week :)

Again thanks for answering, i think this is a great solution (and cheap) for adding "sound only" areas to the setup.

Richard

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 03:28:44 am »
can't get 08-25 to connect either. Still trying to connect to some IP address that's even unknown on the web.

Could you post your config files please... here are mine atm.
In the wiki it states 00:00:00:00:00:01 as a MAC, but the config in the wiki has 00:04:20:00:00:01 so i got a little confused there, because i think both those numbers need to be the same.

PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
DESC="Squeezeslave daemon"
NAME=squeezeslave
DAEMON=/usr/bin/$NAME
DAEMON_ARGS="-o0 -m 00:00:00:00:00:01 -r -s 192.168.80.1"
PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NAME

Not sure if the Daemon is set right, but my squeezeslave binary is in /usr/bin

Also squeezeslave -L output with and without the usb audio stick since i'm not sure what device to use in the -o option. somehow i don's see a real option, but i know it's device 0 because the sound on the core works with device 1 selected.

with usb audio installed
Output devices:
  1: SB Live! Value [CT4832]: ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback (hw:1,0)
  5: front
  6: rear
  7: center_lfe
  8: surround40
  9: surround41
 10: surround50
 11: surround51
 14: spdif_playback
 15: asym_spdif
 17: asym_analog
*19: default

without usb audio installed
Output devices:
  0: SB Live! Value [CT4832]: ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback (hw:1,0)
  4: front
  5: rear
  6: center_lfe
  7: surround40
  8: surround41
  9: surround50
 10: surround51
 13: spdif_playback
 14: asym_spdif
 15: asym_analog
*17: default

Than the command for automatic start changed to update-rc.d but i think that works fine

Any other thoughts you have, currently lmce 0810 beta is running squeezeboxserver in stead of squeezecenter

Richard

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:02:02 am »
ok, got it running through my normal audio device. Somehow the usb audio device gives errors:

output_thread: PortAudio device does not support 44.1KHz, 16-bit, stereo audio.
output_thread: Use -L for a list of supported audio devices, then use -o followed
output_thread: by the device number listed before the colon.  See -h for details.

Have to look into this some more,

Richard

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:26:57 am »
ok, i installed the newest version of squeezeslave and it's running great.

I have changed (and will keep changing) the wiki to reflect the current procedure, i will keep updating as there are a few other things i'm trying atm.

Bulek thanks for the info.

Richard

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:22:45 pm »
updated the wiki to reflect changes, no more need for a daemon script, just put the lines in the rc.local and use the switch -M to daemonize, very easy to use and it works great.

I'll try it on an MD too and make a wiki for running it of the MD, I will have to get better USB audio devices to make this work. If you get a USB Audio adapter, make sure it can play at least 44.1kHz and 16bit stereo.

Richard

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 05:20:43 pm »

I have changed (and will keep changing) the wiki to reflect the current procedure, i will keep updating as there are a few other things i'm trying atm.

Richard

Hi,

may I ask on which version are you working (7.10 or 8.10b2) ? 7.10 has older Squeezecenter and needs older interface on Squeezeslave, in 8.10 this is probably not needed anymore. I'm just checking to clear this out....

I'd also kindly ask if there is a difference on setup procedure between those two version of LMCE, than it would be wise to point that out on Wiki page...

Regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 06:13:52 pm »

Richard

Hi,

may I ask on which version are you working (7.10 or 8.10b2) ? 7.10 has older Squeezecenter and needs older interface on Squeezeslave, in 8.10 this is probably not needed anymore. I'm just checking to clear this out....

I'd also kindly ask if there is a difference on setup procedure between those two version of LinuxMCE, than it would be wise to point that out on Wiki page...

Regards,

Bulek.

We're using the latest SqueezeServer in Dianemo/Cascade which are currently based on 7.10 and there are no procedural differences as far as I know.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 06:48:05 pm »
Thank you totallymaxed for answering that, and i should have thought about that before changing the whole wiki page, sorry about that Bulek.

Point is, that it's really easy to setup now, even as a daemon and it works great, just have to find a good extra USB audio device that works (it has to support 44.1kHz and 16bit minimum). I'm going to try and setup 3 or 4 different instances in different rooms around my house which need audio only, i'll also set one up on an md and see how that works, i'll report back and update the wiki accordingly. For the MD i will start a new wiki "squeezeslave on the MD"

IMO this is an awesome and very cheap way to get multi-zone audio around the house without having to buy squeezeboxes for each location.

Richard

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 10:46:41 am »
Thank you totallymaxed for answering that, and i should have thought about that before changing the whole wiki page, sorry about that Bulek.

Point is, that it's really easy to setup now, even as a daemon and it works great, just have to find a good extra USB audio device that works (it has to support 44.1kHz and 16bit minimum). I'm going to try and setup 3 or 4 different instances in different rooms around my house which need audio only, i'll also set one up on an md and see how that works, i'll report back and update the wiki accordingly. For the MD i will start a new wiki "squeezeslave on the MD"

IMO this is an awesome and very cheap way to get multi-zone audio around the house without having to buy squeezeboxes for each location.

Richard

Hi,

thanks for info. I'm still unsure what version of LMCE (7.10?) and what version of SqueezeCenter (stock 7.10 or did you upgrade it) do you use....

I guess you've upgraded SqueezeCenter and will do the same - is it easy to do ?

Thanks in advance,
regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 06:17:05 pm »
bulek, missed that question completely.

I'm running 0810 and last updated it last week around April 6 (can't give the exact version from work)

I'm not sure how to upgrade squeezecenter.

Maybe you can try the current version on your installation, if nothing else i'll include a note for the upgrade of squeezecenter in the wiki.

Richard

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:50 am »

Richard

Hi,

thanks for info. I'm still unsure what version of LinuxMCE (7.10?) and what version of SqueezeCenter (stock 7.10 or did you upgrade it) do you use....

I guess you've upgraded SqueezeCenter and will do the same - is it easy to do ?

Thanks in advance,
regards,

Bulek.

Both Dianemo & Cascade were originally built from the LinuxMCE-0710 sources but both have been under continuous development since LinuxMCE-0710 was released and contain almost all the 0810 fixes/updates etc. We currently have SqueezeBox Server Version: 7.4.2 - r30215 @ Fri Feb 19 15:21:27 PST 2010 integrated and we will shortly move to SqueezeBox Server 7.5.0

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk