Author Topic: OT: HDMI connector = weak?  (Read 2754 times)

bbnd

• View Profile
OT: HDMI connector = weak?
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:46:08 pm »
I have a couple tvs with hdmi and have noticed that the hdmi connector becomes 'weak' with age. Meaning that the cable seems to be too heavy for the design of the connector to support and the cable will loosen from gravity over time. Are there any kind of 'strain relief' adapters that will help take the weight off the cable off the connector?

The two tvs are an oliva 37" and a samsung 46" Both have connectors that force the cable to come horizonally from the tv and then the cable hangs down by its own weight.

I have noticed the same thing on two video cards that have hdmi. Both seem to be quite weak and the connection is 'loose' because of cable stiffness and weight.

No doubt I can rig something using enough duct tape and bailing wire, and I think the WAF would be extremly low on an iron bar bolted to the wall the height of the connector to support the cable or a metal chain from the ceiling doing the same. If you have any other, more elegant ideas (commercial or diy) I would like to hear your comment.

(Why can't the standards orgs just put a couple retaining screws on the connector like vga or serial and be done with it?)

don

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: OT: HDMI connector = weak?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:56:43 pm »
Definitely not a problem I have with my HDMI cables.  I only have (relatively) cheap cables, and in my case the cable itself is light and the connector rugged and tight fitting.  I have more problems with the scart cable behind the TV because of their size and the angle from which the cable leaves the connector (my TV's are mounted on the wall with the cables routed through a 100mmm portal in the wall).

HDMI is very much a step forward from scart for ease of cable routing and TV mounting.

You might find a HDMI right angled adaptor helps.

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:01:23 pm »
bbnd

i too have had this issue, if you purchase any good quality cable you end up with this problem do to the cable weight, try to keep the weight of the cable up by the highest connection, might have to use zip ties etc..... to do this..
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

bbnd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:12:35 pm »
Thanks both. Never SCARTed before (at least that I would admit  :D).

Mandingo: Yes this is exactly the problem. The cable is all together about 3/8" in diameter and weighs a lot compared to that little 5/8" connector. I have some 1/4" acrylic that I hope to fashion into some type holder this weekend to give me something substantial to mount/fix the cable to.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:50:26 am »
HDMI connector design is horrible. Nearly as bad as the original SATA connection.