Author Topic: Quirks with 0810 beta2 DVD install?  (Read 8174 times)

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Quirks with 0810 beta2 DVD install?
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:06:10 am »
Hardware:

CPU:  Athlon X2 245
Mainboard:  M3A78-EM (NIC onboard)
Graphics:  Asus EN9400GT (HDMI)
NIC2:  Dlink DGE-530T
HDD:  2x500 GB SATA

So, downloaded the DVD from the .torrent.  MD5 is OK on the computer.  Burned to DVD (can you md5 the burned iso?).  

Put DVD into drive, start-up successful.  Rebooted removing the DVD.  The system locks up midway through the Kubuntu startup process (Kubuntu splash screen with blue progress indicator).  I restart after 10-15 minutes of no activity... it goes through the progress bar a bit further then locks up again... wait 20+ minutes, restart... etc.  Repeat twice more, eventually Kubuntu loads up.

Question 1.  Is it expected that you may have random (apparent) lock-ups during Kubuntu startup?  Is it symptomatic of a hardware issue?  Or is it realistic that there would be 10-20 minute periods of 'no activity' during a standard startup on the above hardware?

The desktop script works without issues (after I figure out which NIC is eth0)... though it did take a while.

Restarted, same behavior as above with long pause midway through the kubuntu splash/blue progress bar.. followed by a sound (bluh-do-buh), it finished the load, then rebooted without further intervention...  and then locked up in a permanent loop whereby eventually it would get to:

Boot from (hd0,0) ext3 d3a4cd99-d497-4344-b65f-f7cb70ad1814
Starting up...
Loading please wait....

And then hung for a loooooooooong time and making frequent beeping noises as the monitor powered down repeatedly (I kept hitting 2 and 6) and eventually it flipped into the AV Wizard...

Question 2:  Is this expected behavior?  Or is this indicative of a hardware issue?

Now in the AV Wizard!

Step 1-3, no worries, just selected the lowest end stuff to make sure it would work with my VGA->component system (haven't bought the new HDMI-enabled TV yet).  

Step 4 (Adjust Image Size) - Limited options to change the actual screen size... appears to grey out buttons quite early.  OK button isn't appropriately non-grey (have to use Enter, can't use mouse)

In fact, most of the button behaviors were quirky, with some things greyed out when they should have been 'clickable'.

This caused me to double-tap Enter once and skip through the 'testing' phase (Step 8) with no way to go back?

Question 3:  Is there a way to go "backwards" in the steps in the AVWizard (ie: undo a selection and choose something different)?

I tried to 'restart' the AVWizard by hitting 'I do not agree' which then instead moved on in the the launch process and started installing many many many packages.

Then it was stuck at a blank grey screen with the mouse cursor mobile, but nothing else happening...

Question 4:  Is it broken?  It's been now 20 minutes hanging out here and I'm unclear as to whether to go get food or leave it overnight... or?

====

Comment:  Generally, the LinuxMCE install process needs a bit more user-feedback so users (especially new ones) know what's going on with the installation process.

If anyone could enlighten me as to what I should be doing now, I'd greatly appreciate it.

D

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Quirks with 0810 beta2 DVD install?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:33:47 am »
After being impatient, I flipped to console (ALT+CTRL+2) and initiated shutdown -r and then it came back up.  It then rendered the orbiter screens and I ran into the next issue:  I have more rooms than LinuxMCE will display in the wizard... it can only show 15 areas and there doesn't appear to be a scroll option?

Anyone run into this previously?  

4 Bath
4 Bed
2 Walk-in Closets
2 Patio/Deck
Home Theatre
Kitchen
Dining
Living
Den
Garage

But I can't see the Bath#1 which I renamed "Powder room" because it's off the bottom of the list?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:51:35 am by dh »

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:54:06 am »
Another issue:   completed the startup wizard, but it seems to be recursively downloading packages (MySQL 4.1 client, etc)... it finishes, then immediately restarts the process...

Help?

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:36 am »
Regarding Question 3:  Is there a way to go "backwards" in the steps in the AVWizard (ie: undo a selection and choose something different)?
Answer: hit ESC - it will bring you to the previous screen where you can change the option. Hiting ESC more times will bring you to the first screen of the AVWizard.

Regarding more rooms or renamig rooms: take a look at the admin web.

Try to install from the internet: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810.

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:42:31 am »
*sighs*  So, restarted the DVD installation process with flag -fullpatience.  I just walk away when it looks non-responsive.  It's now through the DVD copy, the rebuild and download of all internet packages.

Now it's again stuck at:

Boot from (hd0,0) ext3 daba0df6-88ff-4250-807d-c084e8e8e4418
Starting up...
Loading please wait....
19+0 records in
19+0 records out
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/cedd1c61-f5cb-4b02-a02c-5f53b6b94861) = dev(8,5)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/cedd1c61-f5cb-4b02-a02c-5f53b6b94861)
kinit:  No resume image, doing normal boot...

It's been >15 minutes.   The system isn't providing sync to the monitor and it keeps auto-powering off the monitor.

I've flipped to tty2 and if someone could give me a bit of assistance, I'd be happy to post any logs that might be useful for debugging this issue.

Anyone available?

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 04:49:02 am »
Rebooted (shutdown 0 -r from tty2) and kubuntu locked up again in the same place (same error messages).

Help?

===

tail Xorg.2.log =>

(II) NVIDIA(0): "640x480_60_0" : 640 x 480 @ 59.9 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0): "512x384" : 512x384 @ 60 Hz DoubleScan
(II) NVIDIA(0): "320x240" : 320 x 240 @ 60.1 Hz DoubleScan
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's EDID; cannot computer DPI
(WW) NVIDIA(0):      from CRT-0's EDID
(==) NVIDIA(0):  DPI set to (75, 750; computed from built-in default
(==) NVIDIA(0):  Disabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals

So it's my vid card?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:57:03 am by dh »

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 05:59:56 am »
tkmedia said:

http://pastebin.com/m65234f55

For a working xconfig....

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:58:15 am »
It seams that X is not identifying you monitor/tv connected to the componet socket.
Try install all with a video monitor, connected to the vga socket.

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 07:54:58 pm »
The install is currently being done to an old CRT monitor via VGA.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »
You did disable the on-board video in bios  right?

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
I'll recheck again, but I think yes.

D

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 03:51:17 am »
Alrighty.  I'm back.  Still stuck at a black screen after rebooting... I think my xconfig is toasted.

Help?

D

stallione

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 04:34:19 pm »
I have seen the weirdest things when it comes to video setup during the initial setup

So, try this... using a DVI to VGA adapter, connect a regular 25pin VGA cable to your monitor. I have had this problem several times, when the AVWizard runs, it defaults to the 1st port on the card and you have to use a regular analog VGA cable. So my option was to use an adapter that comes with most video cards and it works like a charm every time.

Regards,
Stallione

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 01:17:50 am »
I'm using a standard VGA monitor.

D

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 06:09:34 pm »
Hii,

I can see a lot of experts are helping you. I am just a regular user, Looking at your efforts once you have enabled on board video card, You want to re run the A-V wizard, Hit "shift key" between two beeps while booting up.

if you are not getting any beep, try holding shift key when kubuntu bar is at its 2/3 position.

My guess is, your next AVwizard will bring the display on, on your VGA connection. from there you can choose your favorite port you want to use.

Hope that helps.