Author Topic: Starting the project  (Read 2476 times)

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Starting the project
« on: February 16, 2010, 01:31:54 am »
I've read through the wiki (including Installation) and much of the forums.  Unfortunately, a lot of the wiki seems out of date, so I'm left with a question that I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me:

1. Initial test hardware for a Hybrid - I'm currently looking for a cheap but functional testing system.  I'm trying to stick with the nVidia chipset recommendation, but was wondering if anyone could comment on the below system for any obvious flaws:

AMD Athlon 5050e 2.6GHz
Asus M3A78-EM HDMI (known issues with LAN workaround known, unclear if further issues have been resolved with current 0710 or with 0810?)
Kingston 1G DDR2
Seagate/WD 320G SATA2 HDD
LiteOn/LG 22X DVDRW
Asus EN8600GT Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 256M
Dual DVI Display
Sound & LAN On Board (RealtekĀ® ALC1200 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC- Optical S/PDIF out port at back I/O, Gigabit LAN)
A609 w/450W ATX Case

2.  One of the issues noted with the above hardware setup is that some of the components are noted to be working well better 0810, but not as much under 0710.  Would anyone recommend starting with 0810?  Or should I just go with 0710 and wait for a full stable 0810RC build to be released?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
D

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: Starting the project
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:53:45 am »
You do not mention a second NIC.  I would say a definate requirement is a second NIC. 

Perhaps a second Gb of RAM but the core should work without it and you can always add it at a later date.  2Gb's is adequate for most cores

Definately go with the latest Beta of 0810.

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Starting the project
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:46:37 am »
Doh.  Forgot to put the second NIC card in the hardware list.  Thanks for the reminder. 

I'll look for the 0810beta build.  Hopefully the .torrent isn't too hidden.

Thanks for the comments.

D