Author Topic: How "Media" are treated - FRESHUP NEEDED?  (Read 2799 times)

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
How "Media" are treated - FRESHUP NEEDED?
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:59:20 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm in need of PROPER information as to how LinuxMCE treats media that it found.
I've been using 0710 previously, but, as I had my media library all messed up, I just abandoned the nice stuff it can really do - and lived with the mess I made.... primarily focusing on getting other technical aspects right.

Today I find myself with an all new and well functioning 0810 core/hybrid and wish to set up my media right.

Now my question:
LinuxMCE finds and recognizes media fine allright.
But is LinuxMCE supposed to go out and fetch Amazon or imdb information all on its own?
Or is it the users' task to go into LinuxMCE-admin (pluto-admin) browse to  Files & Media -> Media Files Sync and from there choose the specific media and use Get Metadata to find and append media info?

I realize this is basic information, but I have difficulty in finding real specific answers amongst the huge number of items being written /discussed about "media"

Thanks for replying!

Erwin

P.S. I have looked at Thom's screencast part 1, is there any general need for part 2?
If yes, I'm willing to take up the challenge, after having set up a draft outline what will be in it, and have this approved.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: How "Media" are treated - FRESHUP NEEDED?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:51:42 pm »
Currently, its the users task to manually add metadata for media. In the case of some audio, the tags are embedded into the file itself, but for items like video, thats a lot less likely. LinuxMCE only grabs the information it can pull from the file and you supply other information by manual entry or using one of the external searching mechanisms to grab the attributes for you.

-hth
golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:53:09 pm »
Thanks! Perfect that's what I needed to know :-)

Erwin

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:35:46 pm »
If you rip any new media with LMCE it will grab data automatically when you rip it.

J.