Author Topic: Backing up to the core using ssh and rync  (Read 8196 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: Backing up to the core using ssh and rync
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 11:14:34 am »
Right, I can see how this can work for audio, documents, videos and pictures, but what about my other files that need backing up that don't fall into any of these categories?

At the moment, I have a folder in "/mnt/device/55/public/data" called "backup" which is where my rsync points for the other stuff I have that isn't audio, documents, videos, pictures.

Is there any crime in creating a folder in "/home/public/data" called "backup", and then creating a symlink in here that points to "/mnt/device/55......." to keep it in line with the other symlinks? Or am I going to shag everything up?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 09:05:53 pm »
That will likely cause a circular file reference and bring no end of headaches.  The best thing to do is stay away from /mnt entirely.

How about creating a folder at: /home/public/data/documents/device_id [[55]]/backup and moving your backup location there?  That's on the same HD you're already using.

J.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 09:13:37 pm »
Right, I can see how this can work for audio, documents, videos and pictures, but what about my other files that need backing up that don't fall into any of these categories?

It doesn't matter... they're just files - put them anywhere...  LinuxMCE will pick up any type of media regardless of which of those directories you put it in, by the way.  So if you try to hide your music in your documents directory - it will still be found.

What happened to /home/public/data/other?  I thought this used to be directory that was ignored by UpdateMedia just for this sort of thing...  It doesn't have the links to the storage devices anymore.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »
That will likely cause a circular file reference and bring no end of headaches.  The best thing to do is stay away from /mnt entirely.

How about creating a folder at: /home/public/data/documents/device_id [[55]]/backup and moving your backup location there?  That's on the same HD you're already using.

J.

I hear you. I like the idea of putting the backup folder in documents, that would work well for me.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 11:45:17 pm »
What happened to /home/public/data/other?  I thought this used to be directory that was ignored by UpdateMedia just for this sort of thing...  It doesn't have the links to the storage devices anymore.

/home/public/data/other is where media from outside the lmce directory structure shows up, shares configured as 'public'.  I didn't think 'other' would be used if the share's directory format was set to LMCE.  Regardless I noticed no links in 'other' to media on shares configured for LMCE directory structure.  Should there be?

J.