Author Topic: some basic questions: Home Automation and HDTV  (Read 2323 times)

sonicwind

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
some basic questions: Home Automation and HDTV
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:56:53 am »
I'm researching systems for handling home automation and of course came upon LinuxMCE.

I see in the wiki that Insteon support is "currently underway". Has that been updated any? Would there be any current limitations? I'm planning to do some pretty broad automation and I also want to include voice activated control as well as utilize voice response like what MisterHouse describes.

With further reading, I see that HDTV support is pretty broad regarding hardware, so I assume that's pretty good now. I tried Myth a few years ago and it just didn't seem ready.

Thanks for any input.
LinuxMCE 8.10 - Intel E7500 -  Intel BOXDP43TF - GeForce GT240 - HDHomeRun - iPhone - luser
::Use a VGA port for first configuration:: ::Setup your network from the get-go::

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: some basic questions: Home Automation and HDTV
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:58:16 pm »
I remember reading in the past on these forums that the whole voice command thing is unreliable due to background noise, and only really works with a headset. I don't have any experience of this personally though.

Regarding hardware, Andrew Herron from Convergent Home Technlogies recently posted about their success with getting HDTV working with their nvidia cards, through myth, utilising VDPAU. I've just purchased an Asus nVidia Ion 330 board for my lounge media director, and so far I have been really impressed with it (going to play with VDPAU tonight, as my third-time-lucky RAM kit should be arriving today, having had 2 bad kits).
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps