Author Topic: Trying out LinuxMCE to replace Mythbuntu backend  (Read 3197 times)

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
Trying out LinuxMCE to replace Mythbuntu backend
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:45:14 pm »
I'm a MythTV user.  I have an old P4 with two tuners running as dedicated Mythbuntu backend.  That old computer has served its purpose just fine. The only issue that I encounter are choppy recordings when it records to 1080 shows simultaneously.  But that's not the point of this post.

Today was the first that I heard of LinuxMCE.  I watched the video, read the wiki and I am VERY impressed.  I would like to give it a test run but the only spare box that I have is an another old P4.  Will this be enough to tinker with LinuxMCE until I get enough confidence to run it as my main source?  What problems should I expect to encounter using such an old and slow machine?

The Wiki stated that you must have exactly one core.  However, since I already have a fully functional MythTV backend, can I have the core connect to that backend rather than setting up an entirely new backend through LinuxMCE?  It has taken me many hours to get my MythTV backend running just the way that I like it.  I would really prefer to avoid going through that again until I'm ready to fully commit to LinuxMCE.

After seeing the LinuxMCE video, it was clear that LinuxMCE has a much better interface than MythTV.  Does LinuxMCE replace the frontend interface for MythTV?  The biggest problem that I have with MythTV is that I don't like the needing to use a keyboard input as a controller.  While I found a a really cool free application http://www.accentual.com/freemote/ to control MythTV with my blackberry, I would rather use my loop pointer http://www.hillcrestlabs.com/loop/.

How quickly will a media director boot using netboot?  Will it be much slower than if I have LinuxMCE installed on a HD?

What are the most cost effective options for controlling my lights with LinuxMCE.  Am I correct to expect to have to pay ~$40 per light switch or power outlet?

Thank you!

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Trying out LinuxMCE to replace Mythbuntu backend
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:14:20 pm »
The Wiki stated that you must have exactly one core.  However, since I already have a fully functional MythTV backend, can I have the core connect to that backend rather than setting up an entirely new backend through LinuxMCE?

I started installing LinuxMCE on my old P4.  It seemed to install ok but I didn't fully test it out since the only 2nd network card I have is wireless only.  It looked like I could specify my MythTV backend.  Would I have any problems using my existing MythTV backend if it's the latest version?  How does MythTV integrate with LinuxMCE?  Does each media director simply run the MythTV frontend or is there some other level of integration?

Thank you!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 07:27:42 pm »
Hi.

Please do not go down this route.

We assume that we can directly connect with the MythTV backends on each media director and core, and utilize the network control ports so that we can send IPC information between them. You will break things horribly if you try to circumvent this.

You have been warned.

-Thom

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:15:14 pm »
You have been warned.

I will certainly heed your warning.  Thank you for saving me a lot of time!

Where can I find out more information about how LinuxMCE integrates with MythTV?  Watching MythTV recordings will initially be my primary use of LinuxMCE.  I'm not happy with the MythTV interface and I'm hoping that I'll be able to use the LinuxMCE interface instead.  Even if the MythTV interface is needed to change channels and setup recording rules, am I correct in my assumption that I'll be able to watch the recordings with the LinuxMCE interface?  If so, would I loose the ability to skip commercials?

Thank you!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:18:31 pm »
Yes, currently all mythTV recordings show up as videos in LinuxMCE. Because these videos are currently being played using the Xine_Player device, you lose the ability to skip commercials.

As for info on how LinuxMCE integrates with MythTV, I suggest:

(1) checking out the source code from SVN
(2) reading the Developers Guide page on the wiki.

-Thom