I'm now completing MCE system components which I'll be instilling in my (under-construction) house.
I'm planning to run dedicated CORE equipped in:
1. Software RAID 5 with 1-2TB storage space
2. Some low-power CPU
3. 2 GB NICs
4. Build-in nvidia GPU
5. Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000 + WinTV-CI – 1 or 2 pcs – Will I be able to receive encrypted SAT channels (of course having card)? Is it possible to run 2 TV cards in one case?
2-3 MDs based on ION platform in Living room, Bedroom, Bedroom 2. In each of these I’d have some kind of LCD display and some kind of home theatre audio equipment, additionally projector is planned in living room.
I’d like to have 2-4 orbiters – BTW – can I browse www via orbiter – possibly some kind of stylish display I can install (preferably) in the wall (ie modified WebDT 366) + 2 mobile devices + 1-2 good remote controls.
For sure 2-5 IP phones located in different rooms (I’m looking for cheaper solution than 7970, but 1 of these would be nice to have).
The above system shall be heart of whole house.
I'm planning to run (due to "green" energy source heating system) some kind of home automation system (not wireless), which is able to control:
1. Temperature in every room (10)
2. Window roller blinds (in connection with weather station and temperature inside, outside and level of insolation)
3. Lights separately for each circuit, BUT preferably I’d need along with automatic system an old style switches to control lights, roller blinds etc
4. Power sockets – separately for each circuit
5. Some other functions, like smoke, flood, CO detectors with cut off of water, power, garden irrigation, controlling gates and garage doors etc.
Additionally some kind of home security system is a must. I’d need to install some IP cameras and videophones and take a benefit of using security system’s detectors to trigger some other functions than alarm – ie. window open – switch off heating system in this room.
The whole house MUST be fully controlled from inside and from mobile/www.
I’m planning to attend KNX course, but as far as I’m aware they’re focused on particular manufacturer, so I’m not sure I’ll be an expert in KNX and MCE cooperation As I found KNX is expensive, so I’m looking for any kind of cheaper solution, even if it’s not an open system.
Does any of you have similar system and would like to advise me what components shall I go for, and which are not very MCE friendly? Especially what is worrying me it’s A/V devices of my choice. I found that there is a “interface” box between MCE and any IR controlled device, but how to centralize such a system? How to control devices spread across house? There is a very limited set of equipment which can be controlled natively by the MCE, so I’m looking for some workaround.
Thank you in advance for any thoughts and advises!