Author Topic: USB-UIRT question  (Read 3437 times)

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
USB-UIRT question
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:14:37 pm »
How many external IR emitters can one USB-UIRT support.  Is only has one jack but I was thinking that maybe it could be split to more than one emmitter.  I know that the same signal will go to all the units but when you use a hand-held remote pointed at the rack, everything in the rack receives the same signal and they just ignore what doesn't appy to them.  This being the case, could I possibly use one USB-UIRT connected to my computer and use this modified external emmitter and control my TV, my receiver, my external HDTV receiver (I only have a single tuner in my computer and I may want to watch something else while it is recording), and my stand-alone DVD player (so I can play encrypted DVDs.  Currently, my equipment doesn't have RS-232 control.  As I upgrade my equipment, then I will be looking for this as a feature.  But for the time being, IR is the only control available.

Thanks,

M.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: USB-UIRT question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:41:07 pm »
I found a triple head IR emitter with a single 1/8" plug on the web here... http://www.hometech.com/hts/googlebase.html?item=BB-15522C7

Will this work with USB-UIRT?

Thanks,

M.

OldBob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:08:22 pm »
I have used the dual head emitter successfully to control TV, AV Receiver and TV set top box from the one USBUIRT (directing the USBUIRT at the amplifier to get three outputs as I have a FIIRE remote and don't need the receiver function other than to learn the codes from my appliance remotes).   I can't recall the brand (purchased in Australia, Radio Parts Group, of US origin) but it looks very similar to the photos in your link.   At $6.95 it's a low risk option to try (cost me AUD 28).   Thanks for the lead, it's good to know a three head version is available.

Regards,

Bob

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:50:03 pm »
There are IR "routers" available. That's how you control multiple IR equipment in the Custom  Home Audio industry

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »
Here is a router from one of the vendors my company carries.

The brand is Proficient audio. http://www.proficientaudio.com/main.html
Look under accessories. With this you can blast to 4 different devices.

So, you can have one IR cable out of the USB-UIRT, to the input on the router, and then use either single or dual flashers on the outputs of the router to technically control up to 8 devices from a single router. pretty cheap too. ~ $75 "MSRP"