Author Topic: Brand New Home...Brand New Installation 5k (US) Budget  (Read 38175 times)

tridum

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Brand New Home...Brand New Installation 5k (US) Budget
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:47 pm »
Oh boy Don can we talk....!

Although the house we are currently in is already constructed, and the wiring I did was on my own with a help of a friend, i understand completely, as that is my side business from a Developers end.  I've developed about 8 homes in the past, and yes as a general rule, a sub will deviate from plan as often as he can.  We live in Arizona, which basically means that we are slave to many building codes that dont quite apply anywhere else in the country.  We have no natural structure altering forces (save 110 degree heat) so plan deviation is quite common here.

As stated earlier, im very interested in this project not only for myself, but for my latest project which is a multi-home dwelling in the Louisiana.  Down there, up until a year or so after Hurricane Katrina, in most Parishes, there was no requirement to seek a building permit to construct a single family home.  So a sub could do pretty much as he wanted.  This has led over the years to some very shoddy, and dangerous construction.

The competitive advantage that my partner and I have over most developers in the area, is that we tend to be on the cutting edge in interior amenities, with keeping a eye on uniformity of exterior design.  We've tended to stick with subs we know, and for this project (our biggest so far), and due to the economy slow down we've had to slow down the pace in which we move the project along.

Life there is a bit slower.  But what I've found, is that kids tend to move technology due to their need to participate with other kids.  What truly interests me about Linuxmce, is the possibility of being able to offer a family that we are selling too, an opportunity to have system that works and encompasses exactly what Linuxmce offers; media, security, phone. 

I've already been digitally "spanked" about believing this to be to theortical, and i realize fully that it wont be for everyone.  But I really do look at it and say "...well...gee...when constructing for homeowners now, we offer toilets that range from 150 dollars to 900 dollars...so why not this?"  Im a pretty positive guy, and believe that ultimately most things technical have a solution.

So, im kinda experimenting on myself.

red_techie

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:40 am »
What's the status on this?

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2010, 04:53:56 am »
Yea, I just read the entire thread to find out noone has posted since Feb 23rd.  Where are the pictures, where is the hardward and the final costs? I was expecting alot...

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2010, 04:13:14 am »
I'd love to hear how this all turned out, I too am at the point of deciding on Hybrid/Core, I got my gigabit switch a couple of IP cameras, and an ASUS EEE box as future MD, your experience would be very much appreciated here...

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2010, 01:08:50 pm »
Your answers are here:

Name:   tridum
Position:   Regular Poster
Date Registered:   January 30, 2010, 03:53:43 pm
Last Active:   June 13, 2010, 05:53:48 pm
Email:   quadraticequations@gmail.com

Ask the guy to come back to the forums if you are interested on his progress.
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent