Author Topic: Theoretical single nic solution  (Read 2871 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Theoretical single nic solution
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:32:29 pm »
The idea was with a virtual adapter serving functions where duality is required. I would think a gb nic could do most of the pushing of a small system.

I am curious if those who know more how the DB calls are made and why think this might be a viable solution and something that would be worthwhile. I would be happy to go at it nothing immediately jumps to mind prohibiting the possibility.
I never quit... I just ping out.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical single nic solution
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:30:33 pm »
Hi l3mce

In fact, it is possible to have a single nic setup, but your mileage may vary.
The most important is to let your lmce system do dhcp, as long as that is satisfied, you should be mostly good to go.

regards,
sambuca

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:39:31 pm »
...This is exactly how the 0710 install worked if you only have one physical adapter installed, no?  I think most of what you're talking about already exists...  The problem lies in the DHCP server - if you're serving IPs, then there is no use having a virtual adapter - all machines on your network will have IPs that are assigned in a single subnet.  The only thing you'll need to access would be whatever you're using to provide the subnet with access to the outside world, and that thing would have to be statically configured.

See also:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Jimbodude/Standalone_Mode
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Single_to_Double_NIC

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:03:52 am »
See... I had heard going in I needed 2 and have always run 2 to avoid documented install issues. I guess I can confidently say whoever worked that out, if it is indeed how it works, is brilliant. :P
I never quit... I just ping out.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:42:45 pm »
It's also very prone to error if you don't know what you're doing - both in LinuxMCE-land and networking-land.  And if you screw it up, and you don't know what you're doing, you're not getting online for a while.

To be very clear - 2 NICs is the way to go for those who are new to LinuxMCE and networking concepts.  There is NOT enough information in that document to get the desired results unless you know EXACTLY what you're trying to do.