Author Topic: Can I upgrade without reconfiguring my RAID 5  (Read 3053 times)

TinkerMan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Can I upgrade without reconfiguring my RAID 5
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:12 am »
I currently have a LinuxMCE 710 setup with six hard drives; four of which are in a RAID 5 array for MythTV storage,  one with LinuxMCE 710 on it and another drive that is blank for this intended upgrade.  The question is, does the new install of LinuxMCE 810 need to recreate the array or is it possible somehow to just read the original as it is and keep the 4 hard drive RAID 5 array intact with the data still on it.  I realize I would still have to do a MythTV MySQL database backup on the 710 and then a restore on the 810. Yes I suppose I could google around for an answer but I built the array through the Pluto-Admin RAID configuration page and I don't know how it is tied into LinuxMCE.

Thanks, TinkerMan

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:53:25 pm by TinkerMan »

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Can I update without reconfiguring my RAID 5
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:50:10 pm »
The RAID array will be automatically re-detected and reinitialized after LinuxMCE is installed.  There will be no need to rebuild the parity drive, and no data loss.  This feature existed in 0710 also, but it is much more reliable in 0810.  Worst case scenario - LinuxMCE does not re-detect it, and you have to manually reinitialize it using the mdadm tool.  This is quite simple.  You are not at risk for data loss - don't worry.

Assuming you're ok with MySQL, you can get all that data imported properly without too much effort.  Just dump the important tables from the mythconverg DB (you cal look on the MythTV site to figure out which you need - I can't remember off the top of my head) from 0710, and re-import it AFTER the Kubuntu install but BEFORE you start the LinuxMCE installer.  When the MythTV packages are installed, the database will be upgraded to the new schema.  You may have to do some global replacement if your file paths or tuner numbers change.

Also - look into the MythTV version issues floating around, and apply the fix if it's not already there.  http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/574

TinkerMan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:57:27 pm »
That's good news!! Prior to LinuxMCE I have run (and still do) a MythTV install on a Gentoo system for 4 years+, so I have had to manually work with and configure mysql before so no problem there. I found two wiki entries on the MythTV site that should work; http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backup_your_database and http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore This should be all the info I need unless you guys think of something else just let me know because I will be upgrading soon.

Thanks for the help jimbodude!!

Tinkerman

TinkerMan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:08:46 pm »
I guess I have just one more question more or less for clarification. After I install Kubuntu I will then need to install MySQL before LinuxMCE, restore the database and then install LinuxMCE, correct?? The main question is; will the MySQL that I install from the Kubuntu repositories be the same one (version) that LinuxMCE would pull in or require. I know things have greatly improved but I remember that 710 was unable stay up to date with the repos but I don't think this is the case anymore. I also know that sometimes it is a MythTV requirement to have a certain version.

Thanks,

Tinkerman

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:18:46 pm »
0810 is using stock packages for just about everything.  You should be all set.  I think you need to leave the MySQL root user password blank still though.  Let us know what you find there.

TinkerMan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:55 pm »
Will do. If all goes well maybe I can put up a wiki if others are interested.

Thanks again,

TinkerMan