Author Topic: DVD doesn't boot  (Read 4177 times)

adam1305

• View Profile
DVD doesn't boot
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:44:27 pm »
Hi,

I've got a really strange issue with installation, I can't boot the DVD.

I have ruled out it being a bad download by booting on another machine.

I have ruled out the machine being duff by booting another linux Distro from CD and Windows Home Server from DVD.

Has anyone got any ideas?

M/Board Asus M2N32 SLI
DVD drive is IDE

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: DVD doesn't boot
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:32:57 pm »
Is it a DVD-R or RW?  None of my drives boot DVD-RW discs, I have to use -R discs to boot from them.  Just a thought. 

You could try swapping the DVD drives and see if it'll boot in the machine then.

J.

adam1305

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:02:49 am »
it's a DVD-R.  The thing is that the Windows Home Server DVD was burnt on the same machine as the linux MCE one with the same type of disc, and that boots without any problems.
I have made kubuntu 0810 cd and installed that.  So I will try using the DVD to install linux MCE on again tonight.

Thanks for the response,

Adam

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:03:44 pm »
Hi,

Are you are trying to boot the KDE CD disk in the DVD drive and the splash screen for Kubuntu goes for a bit and then hangs?

adam1305

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:56:20 pm »
Hi,

I have successfully booted and installed the KDE CD in the DVD drive.  I am now trying to work out if I can install from the LinuxMCE DVD onto the new KUBUNTU install that I have recently done.

Regards,

Adam

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 10:30:04 pm »
Although using the DVD to install to an existing Kubuntu install is technically possible it would require re-work of the installation scripts.  You might want to attempt a internet install of the beta, which is meant to be installed on a fresh kubuntu 0810 installation. 

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810

J.

adam1305

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:41:14 pm »
thanks for the advice, I will do that.  I messed around a bit trying to work out how to install from DVD and was rapidly reaching the conclusion there had to be a better way.

Regards,

Adam