Author Topic: Could not start ksmserver. Check installation.  (Read 33715 times)

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Could not start ksmserver. Check installation.
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:43:46 am »
I just did a 8.10b2 dvd install and am receiving this error whenever I try to go to the kde desktop. I am turning up nothing when I try to search for this in the forum. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or where to start on a fix? This is the 3rd time I have done the install and I have had the error every time.

I also do not seem to be able to download or install myth, as a result it fails to start up after a reload.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Josh

Sully

• View Profile
Re: Could not start ksmserver. Check installation.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 10:52:30 am »
I just did a 8.10b2 dvd install and am receiving this error whenever I try to go to the kde desktop. I am turning up nothing when I try to search for this in the forum. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or where to start on a fix? This is the 3rd time I have done the install and I have had the error every time.

I am getting the same with a fresh DVD install tonight... I'm looking for a solution too.

I also do not seem to be able to download or install myth, as a result it fails to start up after a reload.

See this thread:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9513.msg65087

Sully

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:45:40 pm »
Thanks, Myth is working well now. Ran into a bit of a hiccup with the channel changing but it was because I didn't understand that I needed to pass the device ID and source id to the TuneToChannel script. Once I got that figured out it worked pretty well.

Now just trying to figure out the ksmserver thing.

Josh

klara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:55:14 pm »
I got the same with a fresh DVD install, but only on Core. On MD it is ok.

klara

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:54:10 pm »
I'm having the same problem, any solution found?

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 02:47:50 pm »
I am also getting the same problem on my core with my beta install. And myth setup is not in the computing section either.

Did you all do the DVD install? Would the internet install give us better luck? What graphics cards are you using? Just in case that's something to do with it (I use an ATI card on my core).
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 05:36:03 pm »
I did the dvd install and the Download install. Same result for both, other than the ability to install a md with a the download. Nothing seems to work on The md.

koenb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 05:15:05 pm »
I got the same problem, I got my KDE back however by installing kdebase-workspace-bin, but this is not the whole KDE package.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:20:04 am »
got the same. did a apt-get install kdm. did not work.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:27:18 am »
Could it be a problem with the latest version of kde, think I read somewhere, that upgrading to the latest one is causing issues? U guys would probably know better than me how to revert back to the previous version and give it a try.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:29:18 am by Newguy2 »

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 10:44:57 am »
I haven't got a clue. My problem was with the DVD install, I never even got THIS far with the internet install - it kept flaking out on the download/install of pluto-avwizard, and that's where progress with the internet install stopped.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »
Yeah, the internet install is pretty flaky too. I tried to do it several times with no success.

Posted by: koenb

I got the same problem, I got my KDE back however by installing kdebase-workspace-bin, but this is not the whole KDE package.
Posted on: January 30, 2010, 05:36:03 pm

Nice, it's still not completely right, but is much closer. At least I can get my nvidia gui to correct for overscan. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:02:12 pm by lmwashere »

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 06:00:20 pm »
Purps,
I am using an nvidia 8400 gs so if your using an ati, I think we can probably rule out video cards as the culprit.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:58 pm »
It also worked for me, thanks. It does not install all the packages like you said, but at least I can get to the desktop now.

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »
Other things can be installed manually too, like terminal, systemsettiings, dolphin etc. After a little work I have a pretty functional desktop again.

systemsettings must be installed to disable the screensaver. Once I got the desktop back, the screensaver kept interrupting my movies. None of the xset commands would work. Fortunately I found this with synaptic.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:26:14 pm by lmwashere »