Author Topic: Message Protocol  (Read 4328 times)

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Message Protocol
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:50 pm »
Hi Guys.

I played around with linuxmce a whiiillle ago, but got sidetracked by life a bit (babies etc).

I've been ghosting the boards for a few weeks to get a feel of the way things have progressed, and I'm quite impressed.  Apart from the odd bit of name calling (fun!), development seems to be moving on apace.

I'm a java dev, and I haven't really got the time to invest in learning to code C++ particularly well.  Following on from that, I'm interested in making a first class java based DCE device (probably a DCE/ JMS bridge as a POC).  I've found the Tivo Orbiter, which will serve as a good base, and I've read through the majority of the programmers guide. 

I think I understand the basics of the architecture, and the DCE message format (down to binary).  What I'm having trouble tracking down is the message protocol. As in, what are the message types, where are they defined, where do they go etc.   I realise that these are probably, to a certain extent, defined in the dce device code.  My question is, where would the best place to begin understanding the protocol? 

I know this is a basic question, but all I need is where the edge to pick is, I'll unravel the rest.

Cheers,

David.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Message Protocol
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:08:32 pm »
Check out the developers guide: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Developers_Guide

Also, join us via IRC on the freenode network in #linuxmce-devel

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:09:08 pm »
Aaah. nice one.  I missed that. Excellent news.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:09:19 pm »
david,

as a starting point, you might also want to look into the JavaMO, which is a J2ME port of the mobile orbiter utilizing the bi-directional protocol.

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:34:58 am »
I partially implemented the protocol in Java for a GWT / reverse AJAX proof of concept.  I haven't looked at the code posde suggested so I'm not sure it will offer anything different from that, but I'd be happy to share it if another implementation would be helpful to look at.

The wiki is a good starting point, but to be honest most of what I learned of the protocol came from running through the C++ code.  You mentioned that C++ is not a strong suit, but you'll still probably find reading through some of that code to be helpful (especially that in the DCE folder).  Just my 2 cents :)

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »
I partially implemented the protocol in Java for a GWT / reverse AJAX proof of concept.  I haven't looked at the code posde suggested so I'm not sure it will offer anything different from that, but I'd be happy to share it if another implementation would be helpful to look at.

The wiki is a good starting point, but to be honest most of what I learned of the protocol came from running through the C++ code.  You mentioned that C++ is not a strong suit, but you'll still probably find reading through some of that code to be helpful (especially that in the DCE folder).  Just my 2 cents :)

Sounds good. I'd be very happy to have a look. Any chance of a download?