For lack of a better fitting forum, I will post this in the "Feature Requests".
To LinuxMCE I am a newbie; I have been planning to build a Media System for my home for months now, and finally should have a little more time in the next few weeks. The reason for my post here is twofold:
- find out if LMCE can fulfill all the requirements for the system
- get hardware suggestions
The following is a list of things I would like the system to accomplish. It would be great if I could get some feedback on what's possible/what isn't and what I would have to be cautious about, concerning the hardware choices.
- Content mirroring (RAID?)
- Handle regular cable TV (coax) and digital TV as well -- I'd like to upgrade to HD soon
- HDMI output for my LG 50PS8000
- The ability to connect my LG sound system and make use of its 5.1 output (I think it's the LG LH-RH 361 SE)
- Remote Access (ideally via web interface off site):
- access all media data incl. streaming capability
- watch and control live tv
- program the dvr remotely
- Control my existing preipherals (wii, ps2)
- Network integration via WiFi (I have a Linksys WRT54L running DD-WRT)
- Add an independent client or two for the other bedrooms
- Integrate a gyroscopic remote
- Access the media files from within the network to be able to get them off the system (Samba? I have 3 Macs and 2 Ubuntu notebooks in my network)
- BlueRay playback (I am considering getting a PS3 for that but want to be able to control it all in one interface)
What hardware would you guys suggest for such a system, when the additional requirements are:
- Quiet operation!
- Low power consumption
For storage I was thinking 6x 1.5tb hdd in a RAID setup, which should give me 4.5tb of available space (correct me if i am wrong).
Thanks much in advance!