Author Topic: Orbiter feature that can organize better ?  (Read 3171 times)

THEVILLAIN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Orbiter feature that can organize better ?
« on: January 12, 2010, 04:32:03 pm »
I have 8.10, beta installed.
   On the orbiter where one can select video and then movie titles, is there a way to have sub categories ?  I have several seasons of tv shows and would like to only List the main show instead of each episode?  On the audio side one can select group, then only CD's are listed, then finally you can drill down to just the songs for that CD.  

Does that make sense ?  Is there a proper way to get that done ?  I didn't see anything like that in the wiki.

Thanks,

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter feature that can organize better ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:55:15 pm »
Not currently.

The Orbiter UI is finished for this revision, and will not be extended any further, but will be rewritten from scratch for this next development cycle.

-Thom

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:42:52 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance of terminology...

What do you mean by "next development cycle"? Do you mean the next beta, or do you mean LMCE 1005?

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:06 pm »
After we release 0810, the next release will [hopefully] have a re-designed UI.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »
not just a redesigned UI, but Orbiter itself will be completely replaced with a new codebase.

-Thom

THEVILLAIN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »
If the codebase is being totally re-written, then here are some other features to think about.

I have thousands of songs that are organized into directories such as "70's" or "heavy_metal" or "190EP-DLK."   Alot of the mp3 tags are not correct so they can be tough to find, and It's easier to create/navigate genres  and group one hit wonders together.  That way I don't have alot extra junk on the main orbiter UI.   It would be alot easier if the orbiter could just use the file/folder structure I created on the hard drive.   Is this possible and worthwhile to implement ? I imagine several users haave 10,000 or so songs they dont feel like updating the mp3 tags.

I haven't tried any of the scripts that automatically try to update the mp3 tags.  What kind of success have people had and is there a tutorial/best practice ?

Another feature is the random selector.  I think it would be cool, to just goto "Audio" in the Orbiter UI then hit random, and it starts playing out of the entire selection.

Also, I think one should be able to remove current song playing from the playlist then automatically save the playlist.

And Lastly, it would be nice for the O-UI to remember where it left off, so if playing several media from the same section (title/chapter/season/episode) would be easy to queue or play next one instead always having to start at the top.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:40:26 pm by THEVILLAIN »