Author Topic: Back after some time and a bit confused...  (Read 2457 times)

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Back after some time and a bit confused...
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:01:38 pm »
Hey folks,

has been a long time and my last setting was 7.10. That was fine those days. Now i am back here, and read: wow, 8.10 released.

BUT WAIT: While in 7.10 DVD install everything went out of the box, it seems like 8.10 is still somewhat... messy?! I mean: Install Kubuntu and then double click for LinuxMCE, then afterwards, create the MD images. Especially when reading this:

"The DVD installer per default does not create the initial MD image, as that creation takes a very long time, and most people probably prefer to give 810 a test, without the MDs. If you want to setup MDs, you have to manually run"

Nothing that could be done of course, i just wondered if 8.10 is really finished for use or is still in a "test it, but dont really use it" state. And if 8.10 is ready (i know, there are ALWAYS some bugs to fix) why doesn't it just do it all alone?!

Thank you guys anyway for your great work!

Oh, by the way: is tschak's gaming module now integrated into 8.10? Homepage at least gives the impression it is.
Considering Microsoft, i can understand why mankind invented gas chambers and the electric chair.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Back after some time and a bit confused...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:02:13 pm »
I was going to correct you and say 8.10 is not out yet, just beta 2, but in looking at www.linuxmce.org download page it's not 100% clear.  The torrent is identified as b2 (beta 2), but the direct downloads don't say anything about being beta??

I'm pretty sure it's still in beta (with known issues), but if so the download page should be updated to reflect that more clearly.

ogir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Back after some time and a bit confused...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:34:39 am »
Yeah, torrent does say b2, but neither the downloads say anything about it, nor the file i downloaded (downloaded it from http://linuxmce.iptp.org/) say anything about a beta. And thats what confused me.
Considering Microsoft, i can understand why mankind invented gas chambers and the electric chair.