Author Topic: hope for blu-ray afterall..  (Read 14513 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: hope for blu-ray afterall..
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »
Agree 100% except that LMCE seems to want to shift the risk to the end user - whether the user chooses to download their HD content, or come up with their own solution for playing encrypted bluray.

As far as I can tell, bluray has nearly been a complete flop, the future is in streamed and/or downloaded media, and internet bandwidth is only going up. I don't like giving the MAFIAA a victory as much as the next guy, but this is one battle I'd be willing to give in on for the sake of the war at large.

Besides, if someone comes up with a solution for patching in bluray support to the project, and documented it on their own website, it's unlikely that the LMCE team would or could do much about it.

EEEEEEEEExactly.
I never quit... I just ping out.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 08:08:52 pm »

Besides, if someone comes up with a solution for patching in bluray support to the project, and documented it on their own website, it's unlikely that the LMCE team would or could do much about it.

EEEEEEEEExactly.

Just make sure, whoever takes this up, that you don't live in a country which has tight extradition ties with the US: http://torrentfreak.com/tvshack-admin-can-be-extradited-to-us-judge-rules-120113/

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 03:00:56 am »
I was never looking for "Out Of The Box" support for blu ray techenicaly Linuxmce doesn't support "Out Of The Box" for encrypted dvd viewing ether. I was only pointing out that video-lan "VLC" has something real close. Much like xine, and mplayer have something real close. The last mentioned players don't play encrypted dvd's with out a special lib that the user must choose to obtain. I'm only asking if the new version of VLC can be implemented in to Linuxmce.. It will be up to the user to obtain the lib for any extra features.

I fail to understand what the difference would be.
Current working option. A player that supports all kinds of files that has an optional lib that the user must obtain.
Proposed working option. A player that supports all kinds of files that has an optional lib that the user must obtain.

Legal comments aside, I completely understand what the legal problem is.
The option I suggest relives Linuxmce of any liability.

thank you for your patience.

bugui

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 07:38:28 pm »
Hello,
But I don't understand, what is the "legal difference" or what could be "out of the law", if we "play dvds" using lmce MDs or Core (supported by LMCE), or getting a way to "play blueray disks" w/ lmce (that is not supported).

HernĂ¡n

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 08:18:43 pm »
Out of the box, lmce doesn't play dvds, same goes for bluray. The user needs to install the appropriate libraries manually to allow DVDs to play. If libraries become available to allow bluray playback, the same will be true.

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 12:13:00 am »
Out of the box, lmce doesn't play dvds, same goes for bluray. The user needs to install the appropriate libraries manually to allow DVDs to play. If libraries become available to allow bluray playback, the same will be true.
This is what I was pointing out when I linked video lan's new VLC player, it supports bluray via a library provided separately just like libdvdcss is provided separately.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 08:23:39 am »
here is what it comes down to:
it is fine to discuss integrating someone else's software, as long as that software is not explicitly illegal.
it is not fine to discuss techniques for circumventing the drm or encryption on the bluray discs.

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 04:01:16 am »
here is what it comes down to:
it is fine to discuss integrating someone else's software, as long as that software is not explicitly illegal.
it is not fine to discuss techniques for circumventing the drm or encryption on the bluray discs.

OK.. got it.
Is the new VLC player illegal? I haven't found information on that.
The extra component on the other hand .... I cease and desist.
I would think such conversation was covered under the freedom speech, but I digress.
That's the last I'll speak of it.

The player on the other hand. Has any one had luck with VLC at all. I tried it once and never got any thing out of it other than a fresh install.