Author Topic: System with no connection to outside world!  (Read 3014 times)

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
System with no connection to outside world!
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:05:55 pm »
So im looking to setup a system in a very remote location where it is impossible to get a connection to the outside world (3g maybe!)

anyhow what I want to know is will the system still operate without an "external" router?

Oh and will I be missing stuff like updates etc even if I take the final release of 810?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:07:33 pm by dcubox1 »

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: System with no connection to outside world!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:45:27 pm »
Not sure the about the answers to your questions, but when it's complete and working please do send videos of your smart-igloo ;D

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:59:02 pm »
So im looking to setup a system in a very remote location where it is impossible to get a connection to the outside world (3g maybe!)

anyhow what I want to know is will the system still operate without an "external" router?

Oh and will I be missing stuff like updates etc even if I take the final release of 810?

You could install the core with an internet connection. When everything works (also install the MD's up front), move it to your igloo.
You will of course not have the services available that use internet.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:40:48 am »
The system cannot be setup without an internet connection. There are several packages that HAVE to be downloaded, for legal reasons, during install.

Many moons ago I had no hard line into my igloo. I was brand new to linux, but wrote up a little how to on connecting to a 3g as an external.
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,9530.msg65315.html#msg65315

What you will want to do, is setup kubuntu using the install linuxmce option. Setup your wireless connection. Install LMCE. Install necessary bits to get playback. Run Diskless_SetupTBZ.sh

Then you should be good.
I never quit... I just ping out.