Author Topic: All network nodes  (Read 2241 times)

brononius

• Guru
  • Trying to keep it simple and centralized...
    • View Profile
    • OnIrIa - linuxMCE blog
All network nodes
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:14:52 am »
I'm wondering if it's useful to add all your nodes to the core. Things like printers, workstations, wireless access points... Today i'm suffering some 'human' issues with this.

My home network runs in another domain then the core router. So when i browse my network, i see different domains. And not all my nodes have a nice dns name.
I tried to put them with webmin in the DNS and so. But when i reboot the core, it retake the dcerouter name and pluto domain.  ???
I already added a lot of stuff into dhcpd-extra, but this isn't added in my normal domain.

Okay, i hear you saying to change my 'home domain', but i want to avoid this since a lot of maps/scripts/... are running with this. So i'm thinking now to add all devices as 'child devices' in the core?

I'm just wondering how you guys solve this situations...
Version: linuxMCE 1404, running virtual on ESXi

Orbiters: ASUS eeePAD, Nexus 5, Huwai, web
Automation: EIB technology, KNX IP ROUTER 750
Phones: Cisco 7912-7940-7960
Camera's: Foscam POE

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: All network nodes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:16:19 am »
The proper way would be to change the plutodhcp binary(iirc) to output the domain name configured in the web admin. This could also be extended to add more specific settings if needed.

I'm not sure how custom your setup is, but I think the above should get you at least part of what you need and should be useful for for other too. At least myself have also been thinking of the domain name issue.

Maybe check trac if there is a ticket for this, and add one(or several to keep them focused/specific) if there isn't.

br,
sambuca