Author Topic: No Media Director audio 8.10  (Read 5400 times)

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
No Media Director audio 8.10
« on: January 06, 2010, 05:14:06 pm »
I had to do a reinstall of my 8.10 system beta 2.  The core/hybrid comes up fine but the MD does not have any audio even in the AVWizard.  I have a Zotac Ion 230 board and the previous install worked just fine. 
Anyone have this problem?  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Randy

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: No Media Director audio 8.10
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:15:47 pm »
What connection are you using?
Are you connected directly to the tv or through a receiver/amplifier?

A little more detail would be good.

Richard

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:32:40 pm »
Sorry for lack of detail.  I am using an analog connection directly to the TV.  I had sound up until the time I reloaded the system.  I used the 8.10 DVD and followed the wiki for installation.  I connected my laptop as a new media director and audio works fine on it. 
Hope this helps

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:35:07 pm »
randy,
have you pulled up alsamixer on the MD in question?
-Krys

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:06:30 pm »
Sorry for lack of detail.  I am using an analog connection directly to the TV.  I had sound up until the time I reloaded the system.  I used the 8.10 DVD and followed the wiki for installation.  I connected my laptop as a new media director and audio works fine on it. 
Hope this helps

Ok long shot here,
Are you using hdmi for video by chance?
If so check xorg.conf
If Usedid=true try setting it to false.

I have seen where the Tv will shut off its analog audio input if it detects a digital audio capable connection.

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 09:53:42 pm »
Hope this helps

Ok long shot here,
Are you using hdmi for video by chance?
If so check xorg.conf
If Usedid=true try setting it to false.

I have seen where the Tv will shut off its analog audio input if it detects a digital audio capable connection.

HTH

Tim

Ah yes i forgot... i had this issue on mine. Plug headphones into the audio jack and youll probably hear sound. I ended up using the VGA port because i didnt know about the xorg.conf setting

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:54:47 pm »
I checked and there is no audio from the stereo port on the Zotac.  I set up using analog on the AVWizard just like I always have done in the past.  I am not sure how to check altamixer at this point so I have not done that as of yet.  This was a working system up until I had to reload it after it was hijacked by phone bandits.  The other MD works fine but it is a laptop.  I am just wondering if there was a problem with making the diskless file or something.  That would be the only software that changed.
As usual any ideas would be great.
Randy

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 05:06:47 pm »
open a terminal on your core and type:

sudo ssh moon##    (replace the ## with the device number of the MD)

it will ask for your password put it in then it will say-

root@moon##:

From there just type

alsamixer

When that opens use the arrow keys to turn the volume up on all the outputs listed. If you see "mm" at the bottom of any of the outputs highlight it and hit the "m" key on your keyboard to unmute it then turn it up. Hit esc when you are done to save your values.

If that doesnt work, I would delete the MD from the web admin and recreate it.

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: No Media Director audio 8.10 [Solved]
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »
OK think with all of your help I got a solution.  I went into alsamixer and made sure everything was unmuted.  I noticed the card was listed as a HDA Nvidea HDMI.  So I went into the admin page and changed the Sound to HDA Nvidea and HDMI.  After this change I was able to use HDMI audio and get rid of the stereo cable.  So at this moment the Zotac is connected to the TV solely by the HDMI cable.  I hope that I could reproduce it.  One of the problems I think I had was that I was trying to play a Wav file off of another media directors CD drive.  I dont think the proper library was installed yet.  Its working and thank all of you for your help.
Randy