Author Topic: Hulu stopping Linuxmce from starting  (Read 6990 times)

King

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hulu stopping Linuxmce from starting
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »
After updating (apt-get update, apt-get upgrade) and a few days and a reboot later, Linuxmce will not start. I'm having the black screen and white cursor, but looked /etc/X11/xorg.conf, all fine, and then restarted AV wizard, no change. After checking DCERouter log, the ENTIRE log says this:

01   03/06/10 9:13:05.430      Got a device 46 with wrong device template 2021 <0xb6ce76c0>

I'm assuming that it is hulu since it is the only device I cannot get into (When i check it under My Devices/Core/DCERouter/HULU Plugin, It says Invalid Device ID). Then when I check the device template for 2021, it says ERROR: the device template does not exist or invalid controlled via.

I really do not want to reinstall but if I have to I have to. Any help?
Core Running as Hybrid:
Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo
On Board NVIDIA Geforce 9300
Single 500G HD
PCI NIC
Currently running 8.10
No MD's Yet
Buffalo Linkstation NAS
Sharp Aquos LC-46SE94U

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hulu stopping Linuxmce from starting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:32:01 am »
I can confirm that something has changed and Hulu is no longer working.  I did a fresh DVD install using Beta 2 this AM using all proper steps as described here:  http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Installing_0810.  My system is as standard as it gets- dual nics, nvidia graphics card, pvr-150's...  Until reinstall, I had Hulu working for a couple of weeks on this box- no hardware changes were made.

On reload when the devices are starting up, the process bar gets stuck at 93% with only the Hulu plugin remaining to start- then the black screen stating that some devices failed to start appears.

I am running the Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh right now, but will try to confirm the DCERouter log has the same error as King describes.

King

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:47:26 am »
I also found this
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9655.0
If I could figure out how to remove hulu from the database, then maybe the core will finish. I don't really care about hulu anyway.
Core Running as Hybrid:
Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo
Single 500G HD
PCI NIC
Currently running 8.10
No MD's Yet
Buffalo Linkstation NAS
Sharp Aquos LC-46SE94U

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:25:58 am »
Did apt-get update/apt-get upgrade yesterday or the day before and my hulu still works.

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:37:02 am »
Skeptic- not trying to be an ass, but I had hulu working when we had to download the *.so from Thom's personal website....  my understanding was that no additional updates were necessary other than just selecting the Hulu player software modules for each MD for the software to work. 

Don't get me wrong- Thom has done some amazing work for LMCE and remains an important (if not THE important) aspect to LMCE in the short/long run, but for now there appear (for my experiences) to be a few issues with Hulu.  I had it working before, I thank Thom for taking the time for getting it integrated with LMCE, but currently, I cannot get Hulu to run.

Where is the DCERouter.log?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:16:49 pm »
Sorry, fellas.

There is a lingering bug which I will fix as soon as I can,

It has to do with the fact that Hulu_Player spawns a thread to handle the fake LIRCD.

It is hanging because the accept call to connect to Hulu Desktop blocks, and if Hulu Desktop is not running, and a router reload happetns, then when the DCE thread tries to quit, it can't. So the program just waits for the LIRCD thread to quit, which it can't.

I have to rewrite the I/O to be non-blocking, and this  twill disappear.

I do appreciate everyone testing the plugin and player. It works exceptionally well on my setup, across virtually all the control devices I have.

Please let me know if there is a control that isn't at least able to access the arrow keys, the OK, and the menu functions (That's literally all there is.)

Again, thanks.
-Thom

King

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »
Thanks Thom

Core Running as Hybrid:
Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo
Single 500G HD
PCI NIC
Currently running 8.10
No MD's Yet
Buffalo Linkstation NAS
Sharp Aquos LC-46SE94U

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 06:15:38 pm »
Thanks Thom

I second this! 

The Hulu setup in lmce is amazing.  I couldn't get my wife into using hulu until it became a simple mouse click like picking a movie to watch or song to listen to.

I had it working on my revo and the experience was good (couple missed frames) but definitely watchable.  I have the revo with a 1.6ghz atom and I think only 512 ram.   I know it was mentioned that sometimes hulu would not maximize to fill the screen and rather than a defect, I think this is an asset.  I had a significantly lower frame rate when the revo was trying to drive a picture (720p iirc) to fill my 32" screen vs just a hair less around the borders.  BTW the borders on the application would show when hulu wasn't maximized but this was/is a non-issue for me.

Again- great job

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:54:33 pm »
Sorry, I forgot to mention in my last post,

You can work around the hang-up by going into a terminal on the media director and typing,

Code: [Select]
killall -9 Hulu_Player

It will then respawn in 10 seconds, and everything will be okay.

I know it's not ideal, but this will work until I fix it (which will be when I get back from London in a couple of days.)

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »
Skeptic- not trying to be an ass, but I had hulu working when we had to download the *.so from Thom's personal website....  my understanding was that no additional updates were necessary other than just selecting the Hulu player software modules for each MD for the software to work. 
No worries - just wanted to mention that it apparently doesn't affect everyone.  Either that or I upgraded shortly before whatever update caused the issues.  For me I just started with apt-get update/apt-get upgrade, then apt-get install lmce-hulu-plugin, then enable it for the mds in web admin. 

Don't get me wrong- Thom has done some amazing work for LinuxMCE and remains an important (if not THE important) aspect to LinuxMCE in the short/long run, but for now there appear (for my experiences) to be a few issues with Hulu.  I had it working before, I thank Thom for taking the time for getting it integrated with LinuxMCE, but currently, I cannot get Hulu to run.

Where is the DCERouter.log?
Agreed - big thanks to Thom.  It's still not perfect, I have issues of my own, but for a work in progress it's great.

Thanks Thom

I second this! 

The Hulu setup in lmce is amazing.  I couldn't get my wife into using hulu until it became a simple mouse click like picking a movie to watch or song to listen to.

I had it working on my revo and the experience was good (couple missed frames) but definitely watchable.  I have the revo with a 1.6ghz atom and I think only 512 ram.   I know it was mentioned that sometimes hulu would not maximize to fill the screen and rather than a defect, I think this is an asset.  I had a significantly lower frame rate when the revo was trying to drive a picture (720p iirc) to fill my 32" screen vs just a hair less around the borders.  BTW the borders on the application would show when hulu wasn't maximized but this was/is a non-issue for me.

Again- great job
As far as I can tell, LinuxMCE is not using hardware accelerated flash.  My core/hybrid is an AMD dual core BE-2400 (2.3GHz), 2G RAM, and nVidia 6600 GT.  It's a couple years old but should be able to well outperform any ION based nettop.  Full screen 720p is watchable, but I also get the occasional stutter.  If/when flash 10.1 beta is included I expect we will see a big improvement.

I'm not sure what you mean by filling the screen just a hair less around the borders getting significantly better frame-rate, but I'm curious.  I'd happily trade a small border for improved framerate.  My bedroom MD is an older laptop and Hulu is basically unwatchable even on low quality, it would be nice to be able to use hulu in there, even if it is a bit jumpy and a bit less than full screen.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 07:57:23 am »
UPDATE: I have checked in a fix here:
http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/changeset/22971

which resolves the hanging Hulu Player problem, using the fix I detailed above.

-Thom