Author Topic: Pluto controls /etc/modules.conf - how to add module options  (Read 5993 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto controls /etc/modules.conf - how to add module options
« on: March 21, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
Hi,

I've compiled pwc.ko module that adds support to USB cameras to Pluto (logitech pro4000, etc...). I'd like to specify default options for this module in /etc/modules.conf, but it seems like pluto is controlling that file - so I wonder how can I add some custom settings.

I guess the best way would be to deal with kernel modules and their parameters through Pluto Advanced web options...

How to do this now? Is Pluto overwritting modules.conf ? Where could I add options ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto controls /etc/modules.conf - how to add module opt
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 12:35:30 pm »
Quote from: "tinia"
I've compiled pwc.ko module that adds support to USB cameras to Pluto (logitech pro4000, etc...). I'd like to specify default options for this module in /etc/modules.conf, but it seems like pluto is controlling that file - so I wonder how can I add some custom settings.

I guess the best way would be to deal with kernel modules and their parameters through Pluto Advanced web options...

How to do this now? Is Pluto overwritting modules.conf ? Where could I add options ?

Pluto doesn't touch modules.conf, but neither does the kernel. That file is obsolete and (as far as I know) ignored by 2.6 kernel. To get the same effect, you have to put a file in /etc/modprobe.d/.

In your case, you can do this:
echo "options pwc <module parameters>" >/etc/modprobe.d/pwc

or you can use your favorite editor to write "options pwc <module parameters>" in /etc/modprobe.d/pwc

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto controls /etc/modules.conf - how to add module opt
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 01:05:42 pm »
Quote from: "radu.c"
Quote from: "tinia"

Pluto doesn't touch modules.conf, but neither does the kernel. That file is obsolete and (as far as I know) ignored by 2.6 kernel. To get the same effect, you have to put a file in /etc/modprobe.d/.

In your case, you can do this:
echo "options pwc <module parameters>" >/etc/modprobe.d/pwc

or you can use your favorite editor to write "options pwc <module parameters>" in /etc/modprobe.d/pwc

Hi,

thanks for info. I'll use your suggestions.

I guess I misunderstood this:

Code: [Select]
dcerouter:/etc# ls -l modules*
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   292 2005-03-09 02:35 modules
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 11622 2005-03-21 10:45 modules.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 11622 2005-03-21 10:45 modules.conf.old
dcerouter:/etc#

modules.conf was changed around Pluto restart, so I got into wrong conclusion - sorry...

Regards,

Rob.