Author Topic: DVD CSS  (Read 4044 times)

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
DVD CSS
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:01:18 pm »
Has there been any further progress in getting encrypted DVD's to play back in 710, have installed the latest css and have tried lots of ideas from the forums/wiki, but still the majority of ripped DVD's that were done on a windows pc refuse to play on the mce pc...........BTW all of them play in windows pc's

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Bruce

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: DVD CSS
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:05:10 am »
Bruce - there will be no further work on 0710, it is end of line, all development is on 0810.

BTW, 0710 can already play most DVDs just fine. There will always be a few that have extra encryption that libdvdcss2 can't handle, but these are relatively few. If you are having this problem with all/most of your DVDs then it is probably something else.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:19:27 pm »
On a related note in 8.10 beta 2.
I can play all my dvd's from disk but when I try to rip them to my hard drive a bunch of them stop around the 4%-5% range.
Does Anybody else see this?

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:32:13 pm »
kyfalcon,
I can play all my dvd's from disk but when I try to rip them to my hard drive a bunch of them stop around the 4%-5% range.

What you see is copyprotection.
I have seen many newer movies that cannot be ripped the way we do it.
Unfortunately this will most likely be more and more common.

As a workaround you may rip with other apps and transfer the resulting ISO to LMCE.
I have no good alternative to you, but rumours say "makemkv" on linux should be able to rip most movies.
Even encrypted BlueRay. Have not tested it yet and do not know if this app is really available.
Saw a note about it on #xine.

/niz23

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:34:18 pm »
kyfalcon,

What you see is copyprotection.
I have seen many newer movies that cannot be ripped the way we do it.
Unfortunately this will most likely be more and more common.

As a workaround you may rip with other apps and transfer the resulting ISO to LinuxMCE.
I have no good alternative to you, but rumours say "makemkv" on linux should be able to rip most movies.
Even encrypted BlueRay. Have not tested it yet and do not know if this app is really available.
Saw a note about it on #xine.

/niz23

was afraid of that
Thx