Author Topic: Attitude of COOPERATION.  (Read 15676 times)

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Attitude of COOPERATION.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:57:54 pm »
@ bongowongo, enigmus, acald, dlewis:

I apologize for my lack of presence and updates, but there really isn't much in the way of integration going to be practical or likely, yet, for the following reasons:

1. eBox is developed, almost exclusively, for the LTS Releases of Ubuntu.  The packages that have been available for non-LTS Releases have been buggy as hell at best, disastrously inoperable at worst, and that's not likely to change, as I see things.

2. LMCE is currently being developed on non-LTS (hopefully to change soon), and isn't too friendly with the idea of changing or replacing any of it's networking / DHCP / DNS features, and I've no idea how to make it friendlier.

Personally, I'd like to see SOME of LMCE's features made more modular, as eBox's modules are.  If we were able to choose to install the modules of our choice (ie: Cake-Walk for users, PITA for geeks, or some such), or just disable certain features on the web-admin, to reduce interference between the 2 separate projects on the same box, that'd help.

Unfortunately, until then, there's not much I can do, short of running one in a Virtualbox upon the other.  I've tried to dig in, tried to get others on both sides with more dev skill involved, and burned myself out on my failure with both.

I'm back, and still hoping to see this idea gain support.  I've had to back-burner it for the sake of self- and marriage-preservation, however, at least until we become LTS-based, and/or more devs (on both sides) get involved.

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 09:30:56 pm »
I appreciate the update on the status.  I would imagine that LMCE's move to LTS would be the deciding factor.  If that was done then this would be a possibility.  I hope that will become reality in the semi-near future.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 12:08:46 am »
The posts regarding meego have been split off into a new thread.