Author Topic: Replacement for FiireChief remote  (Read 3429 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Replacement for FiireChief remote
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:09:34 pm »
Its a real shame that Fiire remote users have been left behind in the switch from 0710 to 0810, there must be a lot of us out there....

That being said, I am sick of being stuck on 0710 because I am so dependent on that remote, and I can see now that LMCE is never going to be upgraded to allow its use.

Can people make some good suggestions for a replacement that works well with LMCE 0810? I am looking for a gyro equivalent, wireless of course, must have functional volume up/down/mute, ff/rew, track forward/back, play/pause/stop, rec, ideally "colour" buttons, and a good gyro action that is easy to use without having to break your wrist to get to some places on the screen! Also, it would be very nice if the wireless range was more than ~6m!

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement for FiireChief remote
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »
The gyration media center remote http://www.gyration.com/index.php/us/products/in-air-remotes/media-center-remote.html

It is basically a fiire without the "special" firmware. Thom has added full functionality, with more to come I believe. I have several, they are great.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:03:28 pm »
oh, I thought someone had said that Gyration had stopped making them!?

anyone have any other suggestions?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:35:56 pm »
dammit col,

please stop saying "waah, it's never gonna be upgraded."

it will be...but we have bigger problems to fry at the moment.

Any interested programmers, I can point them to where this needs to be done, and for now, I did the one thing I could do, provide support for the remote that could still be acquired.

-Thom

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:27:05 am »
Hi thom,

I have been out of programming for a little while.. but might be able to assist... point away and if i can assist i will do so...

I too have the fire remote and would love to continue to use it as it has been great... most of the time.

Regards

Justin