Author Topic: RFID reader (Mir:ror by violet) and possible uses  (Read 2484 times)

SpiderSprog

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
RFID reader (Mir:ror by violet) and possible uses
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:26:23 pm »
Hi all,

Got my LinuxMCE system running fairly well now and I was wanting to try and use my mir:ror (a commercially available RFID device, see http://www.violet.net/_mirror-give-powers-to-your-objects.html) to trigger scenarios.

The mir:ror is capable of launching files
So I was wondering if there are commands to launch scenarios from comand line, as I could add these to a script and get them to launch.

For example I could have a little rabbit with RFID chip (see violets page if this makes no sense) which when placed on the mir:ror will activate a sleep scenario turning of any lights and AV equipment. (Could even dress the rabbit in pyjamas to distinguish him, :-) )

Or I could have a RFID tag on my keys so when I dropped then the mir:ror when I get in it could turn on the TV ready for me to veg on the couch after a hard days work.  Or start playing any voicemails.

It would require violets program to be running on KDE desktop so it’s really just a work around.  I've never really done much coding but I'd be happy to work on a proper implementation if someone pointed me in the right direction.  It would also may be better to use the phidget readers since they don’t rely on violets software (which requires a net connection) but using the mir:ror for now would allow us to see how RFID triggered events might play out.

If it's something that works I would even consider getting an RFID implant so I can trigger events at the wave of a hand (http://www.amal.net/rfid.html)
Then I could have an RFID reader on my bedside table, combined with scenarios and day/night events it could activate sleep scenario at night and then if you setup a time triggered event in the morning to turn on music and lights (acting as an alarm clock) you could wave your hand over the sensor to snooze or cancel the alarm.

As you can see I'm full of ideas for this :-), and these are just of the top of my head, there are I am sure many other applications.  I think it could add a lot of handy functionality in terms of automation.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: RFID reader (Mir:ror by violet) and possible uses
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:54:57 pm »
Light touch integration would be to have your mir:ror software call the linuxmce sendmessage to trigger an event.

Better integration would be to have a DCE device that bridges the mir:ror with DCE.

I have some old code somewhere that integrates the Phidgets IO board. I don't think that it would be particularly hard to integrate the RFID reader. I think  that they both use the same libraries etc.

Once you have DCE events being generated then I think that most of your scenarios would be achievable.

Regards
Darren