Author Topic: Completely confused  (Read 2812 times)

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Completely confused
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:34:06 pm »
Hi, I'm having problems getting LinuxMCE installed on one of the computers at college.

I'm using the 8.10 DVD from the download links and so far have kubuntu installed and running. The problem comes from the installer link that's left on the desktop. I click it and it opens the terminal to start doing whatever it does, then after about a minute of doing nothing a get roughly 100 lines informing me that the program can't find files at certain locations (despite being able to load those links in konqueror).

After another short while it tells me that MCE is finished installing and to restart to finish configuring MCE. However, when I restart the computer I'm back at the shell to login and startx.

I tried a network install of MCE and it kept asking me if I was root. A fellow student informed me that kubuntu had no root user.

P.S. I'm a total Linux noob. It took me 4 distros to get Linux on my PS3, ended up with YDL. Fedora just wouldn't do anything.

Tred

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Completely confused
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:25:23 pm »
Install again; make sure you choose "install LinuxMCE", not "try Kubuntu without making any changes to your computer."
I advise you to make the default username and password to linuxmce.
Then once the Kubuntu installation starts open up a terminal and type
sudo su - #This might ask for the password you specified earlier during the install of kubuntu.
apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Then run the installer on the desktop.
Reboot and you should get to the AV wizard if you have your monitor connected via VGA. If not hit these keys
 Keys for choosing a connector:

1: DVI
2: VGA
3: Component
4: Composite
5: S-Video
and wait 15 seconds for reboot.
Follow the onscreen guide to get everything else running.

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 03:50:53 am »
Thanks. I probably won't be able to try this until wednesday so I'll see what happens the next time I try it. I did try the terminal lines you gave me, they were the ones that were asking me for permissions, something about a lock file. But we'll see what's what on wednesday.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:46:11 am »
Please read the FAQ and FOLLOW THE NETWORK SETUP INSTRUCTIONS.

-Thom

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:16:17 pm »
Then once the Kubuntu installation starts open up a terminal and type
sudo su - #This might ask for the password you specified earlier during the install of kubuntu.
apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

During the installation?

EDIT: Failing at apt-get update. It's stuck on 16% connecting to gb.archive.ubuntu.com and connecting to www.avengard.org, then lists all the files it can't get on a plethora of websites. I can, however, copy the link address from terminal and paste them into konqueror and loas the pages up instantly. I'm currently behind a proxy at the college but I've entered proxy address in, hence the fact konqueror works.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:54:58 pm by typhoon_2099 »