Author Topic: Is nVidia GeForce 7100/7150 GPU fully support in LinuxMCE  (Read 2785 times)

Mad Professor

• First post!
    • View Profile
Is nVidia GeForce 7100/7150 GPU fully support in LinuxMCE
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:21 pm »
Good Day All.

This is my 1st post here, so if I have posted this in the worng place please move it to where it should be.

I am looking at building my self a Meda Centre PC for the living room.

The system I am looking at building would be around the following parts.

XFX 630i Series Motherboard, as it has on board DSUB, DVI, HDMI, powered by a nVidia GeForce 7100/7150 GPU.
Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600.
2GB DDR2 Memory.
500Gb Seagate SATA Hard Drive.

Thats the main system, but I am looking at what freesat digital tuner card I am going to use.

The main thing I would like to know, is the XFX onboard video compatible with LinuxMCE, and if so what UI setting will it work with, and will this on board video cope with full 1080HD and blueray videos?

I have been looking around the internet but I have not been able to find much related to the nVidia GeForce 7100/7150 GPU and linux.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Is nVidia GeForce 7100/7150 GPU fully support in LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:09:21 pm »
Hi, Welcome. :)

Long story short, replace the GPU with a 9xxx series NVIDIA, and enable VDPAU when you get things installed.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Is nVidia GeForce 7100/7150 GPU fully support in LinuxMCE
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:48:19 pm »
fyi, nVidia recently released VDPAU which is a driver that will allow Unix-like OS's access to nVidia's video decode acceleration hardware on 9000 (and 8000) series chipsets. This offloads the processing load for high bit rate and complex video codecs such as H/X.264 which are used for HD video streams, so that the CPU doesn't have to handle it (in which case the quad CPU is probably heaps of overkill!)

You can use UI2 with most nVidia hardware as the UI processing is done on GPU not CPU, but best to avoid Alpha Blending mode. Note, you may want to look into the BluRay capabilities of LMCE if you intend using that, as with all Linux based system, this is quite limited currently. Don't forget your system must have 2 NICs, see the wiki on "Network Setup" for an explanation. Make sure the mobo's sound system has Linux drivers (most do)