Author Topic: Adding support for GE Caddx NX-8E alarm panel  (Read 5493 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Adding support for GE Caddx NX-8E alarm panel
« on: September 14, 2006, 07:38:12 pm »
Even though the Pluto website says that it supports this device, it actually doesn't.  I'm attempting to add support for it using the MisterHouse http://www.sourceforge.misterhouse.com Perl code.  (You can also google caddx.pl, caddx_parse, and caddx.pm for the code.)

If anyone else has already done this or wants to work on this with me, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Adding support for GE Caddx NX-8E alarm panel
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:37:11 pm »
Quote from: "sevprime"
Even though the Pluto website says that it supports this device, it actually doesn't.  I'm attempting to add support for it using the MisterHouse http://www.sourceforge.misterhouse.com Perl code.  (You can also google caddx.pl, caddx_parse, and caddx.pm for the code.)

If anyone else has already done this or wants to work on this with me, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sevak

Have you thought of actually using Misterhouse beside Pluto? I wrote some dirty code to receive Pluto's messages in Misterhouse. It's somewhere on this forum.

I also wrote standalone Perl script driver for my home automation controller - if you are decent Perl programmer, maybe you can put it into better shape.... Maybe even to write Perl library for connecting to Pluto or maybe even embed perl (like Ruby is now in GSD devices)... Anyone to help ?

Actually I'm also interested to help a group of people willing to help in Perl and even Mh's integration....

HTH,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:50:16 am »
Hi Rob,

Long time, no talk!

I thought about switching over to MisterHouse completely and will be running some tests with it.  So you're suggesting to run both simultaneously?  I'm not sure...has anyone tried this?

If I were to use MisterHouse, I'd probably just use that exclusively since I know how to code with Perl and it seems that MisterHouse has a good following with helpful people.  Probably the only thing that I like about Pluto over MisterHouse is the streaming media, but that shouldn't be too difficult to do with MisterHouse and Perl.  Tying in security cameras with Motion should be pretty easy too.

I'll private message you with my email address so that we can discuss.

Later,
Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 09:15:49 am »
Hi Rob,

Long time, no talk!

I thought about switching over to MisterHouse completely and will be running some tests with it.  So you're suggesting to run both simultaneously?  I'm not sure...has anyone tried this?

If I were to use MisterHouse, I'd probably just use that exclusively since I know how to code with Perl and it seems that MisterHouse has a good following with helpful people.  Probably the only thing that I like about Pluto over MisterHouse is the streaming media, but that shouldn't be too difficult to do with MisterHouse and Perl.  Tying in security cameras with Motion should be pretty easy too.

I'll private message you with my email address so that we can discuss.

Later,
Sevak

Hi,

well in my vision I see MH and Pluto combo in this way: Pluto is nice GUI frontend and partly backend part of system, MH si backend and rapid prototyping environment for everything that is missing in Pluto....

I think if you are about to write perl scripts, then it's better to include them in stripped MH setup. It's quite easy for MH to connect to Pluto and receive events for special device , group ogf devices or everything. It would also be not so hard to write layer in MH that would expose all its devices to be controlled from Pluto GUI interfaces....

I've done some dirty examples, and that is where my Perl coding abilities end, but I am willing to help as much as I can... There will always be things that are missing from Pluto and can be quite easily coded under Misterhouse....  

If you ask me, then best way would be to have Perl bundled in Pluto (like Ruby is in GSD, so one can write event handlers and similar modules in Perl and using Misterhouse libraries). That's ideal, till then maybe running Pluto and Misterhouse as separate apps would be fine.

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:30:06 pm »
oic

I'll look into that.  Thanks!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:11:14 pm »
oic

I'll look into that.  Thanks!

Looking forward to common effort. We need general layer in Misterhouse that would expose devices to Pluto. Also I've written standalone driver for my home automation system - it connects to Pluto and sends events from rs232 to Pluto and vice versa....

Let me know how to help. I still have you on yahoo massenger - feel free to chat...

regards,

Rob.