Author Topic: New feature request: Landing page  (Read 13280 times)

Justin Payne

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
New feature request: Landing page
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:22:14 am »
I was in a coffee shop the other day and they had a TV displaying a myraid of information, such as a news scroll, trivia info, weather, local TV feed, stock quotes, local traffic, etc. I thought it would be great to get up in the morning and be able see all of this info to get my started off right.
My idea would be a page consisting of "plug ins". A user could organize the size and location of these plug-ins as they choose. I could even see allowing plug-ins to cycle within it's workspace (frame it lives in). For instance, I could cycle through a traffic plug in, RSS feed plug-in, in weather plug-in, in one frame. My thinking is that some information doesn't change all that often (or there is no need to know second by second). A cycling of plug-ins being displayed would allow different info to be presented in a almost up-to-the-minute way.
I attached a quick (and I mean QUICK) mock-up. I doesn't show the plug-in cycling I mentioned previously but imaging the weather plug-in changing to some other plug-in, such as traffic alerts.
Of course, these plug-ins with be interactive so if I were to click on the traffic plug-in, it would take center stage as well as provide more in-depth info about traffic (or whatever plugin you click on)
Each person in the house could create their own landing page so the info could be presented in the manner that person chooses.
Oooch. Dat stings!!

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: New feature request: Landing page
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:18:22 am »
Good idea, I think this should also be looked in accordance with a family online platform (calander, house messages etc etc)

Justin Payne

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:33:12 am »
Yea! Great idea. I'd love to have a calendar displayed telling me what my daily tasks are. I was going to add in security cams into my mock-up but figured people might not get it.
In any case, the "view" could contain anything one would want to display.
Oooch. Dat stings!!

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:43:03 am »
Something like this could be done using Joomla or other content management system as the backend. LMCE could bring it forward the same way it does with firefox and other applications. I am sure there is a better way to integrate something like this, but I doubt anyone would volunteer to tackle it. There is already a lot going on.

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:15:06 am »
Not a bad idea, because joomla is maybe more userfriendly and easily implementable

Justin Payne

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 07:50:25 pm »
I was talking with a developer friend of mine and he also mentioned using a CMS for this. There are a ton of these and though it was suggest that I use Joomla, I think the first steps are to find out what features would be important.
Drag and Drop interface: I think it would be very helpful if a user could manipulate the layout of all of their controls.
Light footprint:: This will only server one person at a time so I don't think there is even a need for something as large as MySQL. Maybe something like SQLite.
Community Support: It would be nice to have a rich list of plug-ins.

That's a quick list. I'm sure I can come up with more if I give it more thought.
Oooch. Dat stings!!

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 03:08:13 pm »
Tell your friend, to quickly make a demo for us ;)

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 03:57:57 pm »
I don't think there is even a need for something as large as MySQL. Maybe something like SQLite.
Don't forget MySQL is already there in MCE, so you could just add the tables to the database, or add another database... No need for another DBMS (even one as skinny as SQLite)  ;)
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

emachala

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 11:13:29 pm »
If I made the Website/landing page, can someone make the plugin to load it up...?  could probably reference most from just a zip code... i do alot of web design...   Joomla would work for this i can use it if you like, i assume everyone would then need to install and configure joomla to apache....  Essentially  you could have alot more than just a landing page  ... it could start with something just like the image you showed loading  New ... feeds whatever... will throw the best free joomla modules in...   But if someone made the plugin so that when someone Clicks orbiter button  lets call it for example ...."My Portal"...  I can setup joomla to use users... so that if user one hits "My Portal" its loads up Firefox and users user 1 user and pw... this will allow each user to have custom Portal Page...

So if somone can make the plugin that will basically load firefox and login with current user and password or pin either....  either joomla will need you to setup users or we can set it to import from mysql database...  everyone would need to customize there joomla landing page from joomla once...

if not can make just a house portal that loads firefox and landing page more basic...

this can be done in php also..

-emac
-emac

-----------------------------
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Emachala

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:28:16 am »
the webadmin uses php, so that might be the best way to approach this.

emachala

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 04:25:26 am »
exactly .... why i liked the joomla idea but think we can really intergrate with php with a nice php landing page with that can pull data from table Ie location zip for weather or any other pertinent data... could then probably just add the others database stuff we would want... such as stocks... News Streams, calander tasks, Clock with intelligent reminders.... so When your not set as Away the clock will remind you so many minutes before  .. You have to leave for Work, Don't forget to get the Kids from school... (maybe text to speech   etc...

delewis ack hit pm by accident and wrote out

-emac
-emac

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:26:05 am »
How is this going to be maintained after implementation?

falcorn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 01:43:57 pm »
ya good idea. this is fantastic to see traffic, whether forecast and other info displayed on my TV

emachala

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53:24 pm »
Well I can setup with a javascript and css ... and or tables added to sql to store data for fields zipcode, http streams,  that will allow to setup custom data  like tickers weather... frame for video streams weather news etc... and a frame for maybe Google traffic map or something... Then  it could be tied  into webadmin
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:55:43 pm by emachala »
-emac

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 11:15:49 pm »
Any updates?