Author Topic: Insteon devices and support  (Read 4528 times)

mavila

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Insteon devices and support
« on: December 11, 2009, 05:25:23 am »
Hello - my first post to the forum, however Ive been a guest for a couple weeks now and reading lots. I have recently installed 8.10 as a VM under Virtualbox and have functionality for my lighting running. Im using a Smarthome 2412S as a interface to several dimmers and switches throughout my home. I also have a few keypadLinc dimmers, Lamplinc 245D3 dimmers, and currently two IOLincs (# 2450).

At present (correct me if Im wrong) it doest appear that there is wide support for Insteon devices other than switches and dimmers. I havent found a setup for IOLincs (Im using these as garage door sensors and to also tp initiate the openers), not the Lamplic's.

Is there a guideline to "fat finger" this into a template so the MCE system will utilize these devices (assuming that I can get the relevant codes from Smarthome for the devices), or has this already been done and Im just not seeing it.

Thanks in advance

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Insteon devices and support
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:31:41 pm »
I am not sure if the support for such devices has been added into the system. The source code to the Insteon driver is currently implemented as a GSD device in Ruby, so you can modify it as needed. You may need to do some infrastructural work too, such as adding embedded security, climate, etc devices to handle commands from the relevant plugins for the relevant child devices...

-Thom

mavila

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:58:05 pm »
Thom - hey, thanks for the reply. While Im NOT a programmer, Im no stranger either to Linux and navigating from a CLI. If you can (or anyone) steer me in the right direction as to creating the appropriate templates and/or code Im all about  adding to the project... wherever I can.

Appreciate the insights though.

On a side note, I rebooted the VM this afternoon and magically one of the IOLics came to lifew in the lighting configuration (of all places). Id like this to be in the security area as Im using it for garage door control - it reports open/closed status adn also allows me to trigger the "button" as an insteon link... but that somehow showed up. Anyway, Ill keep plugging through, but I do like what Ive see so far - great project!

Thanks

Matt

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 04:29:23 pm »
These instructions assume you will only ever use the IOLinc's as a security device

Since it is working already this is a simple change, just do the following:

• Fire up your web admin
  • Navigate to Automation>Device Status in the top menubar
  • Click on your IOLinc device you want to change
  • Click View, the device template will open for editing
  • Look at "This device is controlled via category" One of them will say "Device Category: Lighting Interface", click Edit next to that one
  • Select "Interfaces - Security" using the Controlled via dropdown.
  • Click save
  • Now just do a quick reload router and test

NOTE: If your device doesn't move to the right category on its own, delete it and re-add it after you've made the above changes.  Then reload and regen your orbiters.  If it still doesn't work you'll need to make sure your lighting controller's category is set to Specialized.  I don't have this device and haven't tested myself so cannot guarantee you this will work, but it should.  Please post back if this worked or not so other people will be able to reference it in the future

mavila

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:19:10 pm »
Well, the IOLinc "came and went"! It does appear in the logs of the PLM modem interface, but I cannot get it to "stick" in the configuration files. Its linked to a KeypadLinc switch, and I can control it from my office (where the keypad is located). I also can see the status in the keypad (lit for closed, unlit for open), but its now disappeared from MCE configurations. Ive re-loaded (ad rebooted) the MCE machine a couple times, and gone through the "process initialize" procedure on the PLM a couple times as well.

Hmmm... confusing. Any ideas?

Im going to try hooking up the second IOLinc and see if anything changes.