Author Topic: Minimal HW re-visited  (Read 2790 times)

orenshani

• View Profile
Minimal HW re-visited
« on: December 03, 2009, 03:46:31 pm »
Hi All,

Almost two years ego (gee! time flies!), I posted a question here about lightweight computers (or thin clients) and LinuxMCE. I was then answered that (with the HW that was available then) they will not be of much use. However, since then  there has been quite a revolution in the area of lightweight computers. So I am asking again: How about Nvidia ION based computers? will they do as Core, MDs, or Hybrids (and which of these?), I would also like to know what do you think about the TI beagleboard as an orbiter?

Also, in the replies to my old post, I was advised not to use wireless LAN for my LinuxMCE network. Is this still the recommendation (that is to use wireline ?) Or with the stronger and faster Wireless cards that are now available, you do approve of wireless?

Thanks!

Oren

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Minimal HW re-visited
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:01:06 pm »
1. the ION based machines are fast enough, although we are still working through installation related bugs in regards to the 0810 release.

2. do not ever use wireless to attach media directors. period.

-Thom

orenshani

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:55:23 pm »
1. the ION based machines are fast enough, although we are still working through installation related bugs in regards to the 0810 release.

2. do not ever use wireless to attach media directors. period.

-Thom

Hi Thom. Thanks for your answer.

Another question: What about LAN over the electricity cords. Can I use this?

Thanks,

Oren

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:56:43 pm »
Hi All,

Almost two years ego (gee! time flies!), I posted a question here about lightweight computers (or thin clients) and LinuxMCE. I was then answered that (with the HW that was available then) they will not be of much use. However, since then  there has been quite a revolution in the area of lightweight computers. So I am asking again: How about Nvidia ION based computers? will they do as Core, MDs, or Hybrids (and which of these?), I would also like to know what do you think about the TI beagleboard as an orbiter?

Also, in the replies to my old post, I was advised not to use wireless LAN for my LinuxMCE network. Is this still the recommendation (that is to use wireline ?) Or with the stronger and faster Wireless cards that are now available, you do approve of wireless?

Thanks!

Oren

We use Atom/Ion based Hybrid Core's for small portable demo systems with say 1-2 MD's attached. The biggest issue with Atom based Core's is the regen process which taxes these CPU's quite heavily.

If you offload media storage and serving to a NAS then Atom/Ion Core's can be very effective for small systems is our experience. We sometimes use HomePlug 200Mbit LAN adapters in customer installs where there is no easy way to run CAT5 cabling. Apart from the unpredictability of house wiring for use with HomePlug the other thing to keep in mind is that using more than 2 MD's with this type of LAN connection is usually pushing your luck and so we never install more than that number even if the wiring is of perfect quality.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk