Author Topic: Remotely Access Music?  (Read 4766 times)

trimble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Remotely Access Music?
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:28:40 pm »
I am running 0710 and can successfully access my system from outside my home using a Web Orbiter, but have thus far not been able to play/stream music or videos. Is this possible?

Regards,
Mark

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Remotely Access Music?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:39:40 pm »
Just remember if you can get to your weborbiter from the outside, most likely so can someone else.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:10:03 pm »
The Web Orbiter, is just an Orbiter, a remote control only.

-Thom

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:23:39 pm »
you might be able to hook up to the squeezeCenter and access your music. can't remember what ports etc it uses.
what would rock is a flash based player that you could play any of your media, re-encoded on the fly, Now that would be ace

trimble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:58:24 pm »
Cool, thanks for the feedback. I have now disabled my system's remote access capability and am configuring icecast2 and ices on the core to stream my music files.

Cheers,
Mark

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:15:05 am »
yes, but doing it RIGHT is another matter entirely. It is one of the things i will be researching in this next development cycle.

You guys must understand, one of the key aspects of this system is doing it so that it is seamless and smooth and fully integrated.

-Thom

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:23:26 pm »
Ok so a quick check on the slime site comes up with this.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ConnectingRemotely

Since we already use and have a plugin for squeeze software it makes sense to use this as a starting point

Whats cool is you can use a soft-slimplayer which would get detected as a remote player and then we could assign it to a extra "internet" zone so the normal orbiters could control it. -( maybe over kill as if your remote then the normal slimplayer would be enough)

the more i think about it a flash powered media player that hooks into the audio/video on teh core would be a killer feature. Flash as its now got really good media streaming. HTML5 has some nice features that would be maybe more future-proof.

I'm going to go off and jott down my thoughts on this and see what can be bolted into teh existing frameworks we have.

LegoGT

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Medium Rare Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 07:48:27 pm »
I have my Core setup as a subnet of my main network. I'll then connect my laptop to the external network side and play music using SoftSqueeze. You have to remember to open the proper ports for Squeezebox to connect if you're not on the LMCE internal network side.

Also, for security reasons, I use an SSH tunnel to access SqueezeCenter when on the road (hopping into one of my non-LMCE boxes on the external side of my LMCE network). If you have your Core connected directly to the Internet then I'd recommend just tunneling directly into it and not opening up the ports on your firewall. My setup is a little more convoluted because I'm usually accessing files on my non-LMCE boxes, too.
A brain dump of my neverending projects: http://MediumRareBrain.com