Author Topic: Siemens Simpad S4  (Read 18698 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« on: March 21, 2005, 10:20:28 am »
Hello,

I found a Web-Pad on ebay that would fit my needs for mobile-surfing on the couch in front of the TV.
Since this device is running with WindowsCE, and has Wifi included, it should be no problem to use it as an Orbiter. But it has only 64MB of RAM, and is not expandable. Is this enough Memory ?

Greets from germany
 Heiermann

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 12:20:30 pm »
It should be.  The devices we use, the DTResearch dt375, only have 64 also.  However, be sure it has a CF slot, because you'll want to put a CF card in there and store our software there so it doesn't get lost when you reboot.  Also, orbiter will cache all the graphics locally on teh cf card so it runs faster and doesn't need to pull them over the wifi each time.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:08:24 pm »
Has someone tested the simpad yet?
Cause as far as I know, it has no CF-Card Slot itself ... it would be possible to add one with an pcmcia2cf adapter but then wifi will get lost ... !?

/edit on
It would be possible to use both (Wlan and CF-Card) with a "WLAN CF-CARD 128MB" corporating both, Memory and Wifi ...
/edit off

Someone any experiences?

LG
Roman

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:11:22 am »
Hi,

You can also try running Orbiter within your browser. All you have to do is to add a "Generic Web Device" (from Peripherals) and then reload your router. Then you can open the browser from your device, go to http://core_ip/pluto-admin/weborbiter.php and use orbiter. This way you don't have care about amount of ram or storage.

Best regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 02:33:53 pm »
Hi Chris

I tried to do what you suggested in your previous post.
When I point my browser to http://core_ip/pluto-admin/weborbiter.php I'm asked to identify with login/pswd, then I'm asked what kind of device I want to see.

From a drop down list I select WebOrbiter (this is the name I gave to the generic web device), but what I get is an error like this:

Connect to proxy orbiter failes, please try again

Am I doing something wrong?

TIA
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 02:43:55 pm »
Hi,

After you added the generic web device, you need to reload the router and it should work. If it still doesn't work, check to see if a Proxy_Orbiter is running.

Regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 03:51:29 pm »
Hi Chris

it ended up that I deleted and recreated the Generic Web Device (without changing the default name) and everithing worked like a charm.

Now I would like to change the Orbiter dimension, i.e I would like making the whole image a little smaller in order to better fit the screen size and avoid scrolling.

In pluto admin Wizard->Devices->Orbiters I tried to change orbiter size, but this only changes the size of the picture without scaling to fit.

Is there any way to reduce/scale the web orbiter?

I noticed also another thing, that looks like a bug.
When I try to increase/decrease audio level on the remote in the Web Orbiter  I cannot keep control of the volume itself. If I press - , the audio level goes nearly to 0, if I press + audio level keeps going up and almost breaks glassess ... :x
After this I cannot modify audio level neither with regular orbiter nor Symbian. I have to switch off media and start again.

Is it really a bug or am I doing something wrong?

TIA
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 04:16:21 pm »
Hi Marco,

it ended up that I deleted and recreated the Generic Web Device (without changing the default name) and everithing worked like a charm.

This seems to be a bug, we'll need to test it.

In pluto admin Wizard->Devices->Orbiters I tried to change orbiter size, but this only changes the size of the picture without scaling to fit.
Is there any way to reduce/scale the web orbiter?

I just did the same thing, using 640x480 instead of 1024x768 and it works (the picture in the browser is 640x480, scaled - all the buttons are visible/scaled). What was your exact problem?

If I press - , the audio level goes nearly to 0, if I press + audio level keeps going up and almost breaks glassess ...

This is a known bug, but we didn't have yet time to fix it. Those + and - buttons are repeated buttons and we are not capturing both mouse up/down in the browser, only a mouse click. We'll fix this for 35 release.

Best regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 04:50:48 pm »
Hi Chris and thanks for your reply

If I use 640x480 and the reload router, on web orbiter I get a picture that is only reduced in size but not scaled. In other words the picture has been cut, and not all buttons are visible.

I tryed also 320X240, and I get the same behaviour.

Actually I have set 800X600, and the picture has not been cut but I have to scroll to see all buttons.

I will try again just to make sure I didn't make any mistake in the process and will let you know.

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 05:23:24 pm »
Hi Chris

I retried with 640x480 and it worked.

Don't ask me why ... I made exactly the same steps as before ...

Thanks again and regards

Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 08:45:29 am »
Hi Marco,

Generic web device is new and for sure it needs more testing. I opened a mantis bug with these issues. You can see the progress here:
http://plutohome.com/support/mantis/view.php?id=1426

Thanks and regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 10:47:23 pm »
Where can I get pricing on DTResearch dt375? Or any other hardware for an orbiter. I am having a real hard time trying to purchase the hardware.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Siemens Simpad S4
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 08:56:34 am »
Hi,

You can buy a DT366 web tablet from here: http://dtresearch.com/prod_webDT366.html. The OS is Windows XP and it's faster then DT375.  I don't know if DT375 is available on the market anymore.

Best regards,
Chris M.