Author Topic: BlackBerry as Orbiter?  (Read 9852 times)

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
BlackBerry as Orbiter?
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:34:23 pm »
I am in the planning stages of doing a LinuxMCE setup.  My wife and I both use BlackBerries and they would make ideal orbiters for us.  I didn't see BlackBerry as a LinuxMCE supported device.  Is this something that someone is working on?

If I wanted to use Web Orbiter over WiFi wouldn't I need to make the web server accessible over the public Internet?  Or is there a way I can gain web access to a machine on the on the internal network from my BlackBerry?  I use Freemote Control (http://www.accentual.com/freemote/) which allows me to control MythTV via my blackberry, so I know that the BlackBerry can access machines on the local network via WiFi...I just don't know how to do it using the BlackBerry Browser or Opera.

If the only option to use my BlackBerry with LinuxMCE is to make the Web Orbiter open to the public Internet, how can it be made secure?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:14:23 pm by st8ofmi9d »

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BlackBerry as Orbiter?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:57:08 pm »
Not sure if there is any Blackberry orbiter and have no experience with them but don't they have java? You could try loading up java orbiter and see how goes.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 05:09:38 am »
My experience so far on this has been that the JavaMO will not work with the blackberry.  I haven't spent enough time on it to tell you why, but I did take the client install files and convert them to the format BB needs to install, the MD did recognize the phone via bluetooth, but I have never actually been able to get them to "connect"

I haven't tried the Wifi route, that might be next.

There isn't anybody currently working on it that I know of.  Hari was kind enough to create the "prototype" JavaMO, but nobody has run with it from there.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:10:45 am »
I have my BB 8300 Curve running JavaMO via bluetooth.  it works just fine.

The key map does not translate well to the BB keyboard as it was designed for a Mobile phone numeric keypad but still works fine.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:30:54 pm »
I have my BB 8300 Curve running JavaMO via bluetooth.  it works just fine.

The key map does not translate well to the BB keyboard as it was designed for a Mobile phone numeric keypad but still works fine.

What version OS are you on? I have a Bold 9700, my wife has a Pearl 2 and we also have a 8820 without a sim card that works as a remote with MythTV. How did you get it installed and running?  Was there anything special that you had to do?  Is this something that might be good to put on the Wiki?

I'm not a programmer so I can't help writing code but I'm happy to help document as much as I can.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 07:22:54 pm »
BB 8310 smartphone (EDGE) v4.5.0.110 (platform 2.7.0.90)

I didn't do anything special other than transferring the JavaMO files to the blackberry via a USB cable instead of internet download.

In my options>bluetooth page I have a paired devices list and there is a reference to my core.  do you have this?

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:10:50 pm »
I have a blackberry 9000 (3G, Wifi) v 4.6.0.304 (platform 4.0.0.247)

Much like you I put the JavaMO via the usb cable
I don't see it in my paired list though.  I thought that this was something we were not suppose to pair even though prompted for it.

Initially my MD did recognize that I had a phone with BT turned on and it was added.  That was as far as I got though.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:21:12 pm »
BB 8310 smartphone (EDGE) v4.5.0.110 (platform 2.7.0.90)

I didn't do anything special other than transferring the JavaMO files to the blackberry via a USB cable instead of internet download.

In my options>bluetooth page I have a paired devices list and there is a reference to my core.  do you have this?

I'm sorry for the simple question, but how did you transfer the JavaMO files? Where did you get the files from them?

I'm to the point where I'm ready to get my BlackBerries up and running, if even for limited accessibility.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 03:01:29 pm »

I'm sorry for the simple question, but how did you transfer the JavaMO files? Where did you get the files from them?

You also mentioned that the keymap is a bit off. Is that something that I could easily adjust?

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 08:22:38 pm »
The files are here http://hob.dyndns.org/javamo/ and use the blackberry desktop manager or download directly to your BB

What I meant by Keymap being off is that the JAVA MO is set up like a 10 key (0-9) numeric pad where as the BB is a qwerty keyboard.  This means that the number pad works but you have to use num lock and the numeric pad.  It would be good if the full keyboard could be used although I have no idea what would need to be done to do this.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 11:37:12 pm »
The files are here http://hob.dyndns.org/javamo/ and use the blackberry desktop manager or download directly to your BB

Thank you. I D/Led and installed JavaMO on my bold 9700. Installed the bluetooth adapter and the Core saw my blackberry, asked me the user/room and asked which type of device it was. I selected "Java Mobile Phone". Since I had already installed JavaMo I selected No when the core asked me if I wanted to try resending it to the phone since it failed the first try. I had JavaMO running and then my BlackBerry asked me for the passkey for dcerouter-0. I didn't enter anything and waited patiently. Eventually the BB said pairing failed and that's as far as I got. I didn't try manually pairing the device and the dcerouter is not listed in my Bluetooth devices on the BB. I rebooted the core and now whenever the BB is in range of the core it keeps popping up asking me for the passkey. I do not have the BB in listen mode but it is discoverable. It keeps asking me for the passkey until I walk far enough away or until I make the BB non discoverable. Then it will only keep the non discoverable setting until I try JavaMO again.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:56:46 pm by st8ofmi9d »

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 05:50:18 am »
I had that same thing but I managed to get the same dialogue box to show up on the KDE desktop. I typed in the same code on the phone and in the dialogue box the two paired and then the orbiter loaded

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 05:28:10 pm »
I had that same thing but I managed to get the same dialogue box to show up on the KDE desktop. I typed in the same code on the phone and in the dialogue box the two paired and then the orbiter loaded

That helped. I opened up KDE desktop, entered a code on the BlackBerry. Then KDE poppedup with a window and I entered that code. I saw a small symbian screen and it worked. I tried to uped the resolution in the orbiter setting to 320x240 (since I didn't see a match for my 480x360 screen) I chose PDA 4x3, regened and then I got the screen. However, LMCE doesn't like touchpads so it immediately clicked on a option as soon as I tried to move. I have to do some work until at least tonight so I won't be able to play with it any further until then. What orbiter settings have you tried and which have you fond worked best? Have you had any problems getting the JavaMO to exit? Mine seems to be locking but after a quick reset on the BlackBerry I'm back to "normal".