Author Topic: What current European Recievers are controllable with LinuxMCE ?  (Read 10934 times)

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: What current European Recievers are controllable with LinuxMCE ?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 07:29:50 pm »

Hi Andrew, Hi Pos,

OK, thanks :)

And they are they controlled correctly using IR  - meaning that they are switched correctly on and off ?

I have an USB-UIRT, but not used it yet. But I would prefer RS-232. Lets see what I will find out.

Viking

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 07:50:26 pm »
Onkyo receivers are also controllable via RS232. I have both Denon and Onkyo and they are comparable.

Regards,

Chris

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 09:41:00 pm »
Viking,

another tid bit: I would re-think the need for 7.1 - I have a 7.1 setup in my HT and with VERY few films it is detectable. Better get a used one with RS-232 than a new one with IR only.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 11:14:03 am »

Hi Andrew, Hi Pos,

OK, thanks :)

And they are they controlled correctly using IR  - meaning that they are switched correctly on and off ?

I have an USB-UIRT, but not used it yet. But I would prefer RS-232. Lets see what I will find out.

Viking

Yes they are controlled correctly for on/off using either RS232 or IR (you can use a MCE Transceiver to do the blasting too)

We prefer RS232 too...its very reliable and is not prone to missing commands or 'interference' from other IR sources etc.  Posde suggestion of looking for a second hand Denon with RS232 over a new one without is also very sensible.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 07:56:51 pm »
Thanks for your input. I will think about it. I would really preffer rs-232.

One thing though tells me to go for 7.1 ;) The current reciever is over 7 years old and it is a struggle to get new hardware once it is there (wife "problem" ;) ). So I will probably be stuck with it for at least 5 years. So it should be compatibel for what I would want in those years ;)

Viking

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 01:12:45 am »
Hi,

I'm using Marantz Sr5600 for several years now and it just works flawlessly. Great decision, never regreted - it's controlled over rs232 (in my case as two independent outputs - two zones configuration).

In my living room there is some non rs232 amplifier hooked up to MD and TV and USB UIRT and I after 1 year I still haven't set it up properly. I'll probably purchase another rs232 controlled receiver sooner than do proper setup for it... :-)

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 09:05:21 pm »
bulek - what template are you using for your Marantz? I have butchered mine together because the standard one (that Hari was working on) has a problem where the bidirectional features cause video to stop playing immediately that you start it. Neither of us have any idea why... at first Hari thought it was due to the Marantz using/reporting negative numbers for volume levels, but that seems not to be the case now. I just created my own modified template with only the basics and no bidirectionality and left it at that, as I found fiddling with it always broke it again!

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 02:03:16 am »
Onkyo receivers are also controllable via RS232. I have both Denon and Onkyo and they are comparable.

Regards,

Chris

I'm putting together my system at the moment, and I'm going Onkyo.  Why? They're good audio quality for the money, have a range of good options throughout the range, and have well documented control codes.  I need one from the TX-SR7xx range, as I need pre-outs for my seperate stereo (front left and right) amplifier.  By buying the last model (while it is still available), I can get (a currently 706) for about 2/3 of the new model price.

I think this is a nice priced option.  I'll let everyone know, in time, how I get on integrating it with linuxmce.